Out Reach

  • Jerry Truitt
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 9 9:42 PM
      Check out up coming out reach programs on the club web site.
    • Jerry Truitt
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 18, 2006
        I will be at the Greensboro Library Wednesday evening at 7 PM. for
        Astronomy at the Library. I always have a big group at Greensboro so
        I'm looking for some help, the more scopes the better.
      • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 18, 2006
          I been talking to Richard, he asked me for help. He wants me to bring
          the 14" and the ETX. See you there
        • Jerry Truitt
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 18, 2006
            Thanks CJ, I admit I was counting on you being there. Now all we need
            is clear skies.

            --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)"

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 18, 2006
              Well, we do have clear skies! Last night, tonight, and tomorrow night
              is all clear! Tomorrow night is going to be quite pleasant temperature
              too. High 73 and low 53
            • White Leonard W TSgt 512 EMS/MXMTI
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 19, 2006
                Jerry, I'll be there.

                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2006
                  I'll be at the Greenboro Library this coming Friday starting my
                  presentation at 7 PM. We move outside to the telescopes as soon as
                  it's dark enough. The moon will be out so we won't have to wait for
                  pitch dark to view.

                  CJ WAKE UP! Did you hear me! I'll be at your library Friday!

                  Monday night I'll be at the Perryville Maryland Library again at 7 PM.

                  Anyone who wants to join me please do, if you have a scope please drag
                  it along. Thanks
                • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2, 2006
                    Ok Ok Ok! I'm up...dang..

                    The weather doesn't look good on friday...I'll be there anyway. You'll
                    never know
                  • Jerry Truitt
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 9, 2006
                      We have a group of club scouts camping at Tuckahoe on the 21 and 22 of
                      July. Astronomy is one of the activities they have planned and are
                      seeking our help. I suggested the 22 would be good for us as that is our
                      regular observing date.

                      If you can help please let me know.
                    • Charles Wood Jr.(CJ)
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 10, 2006
                        I'm willing to help, I'm pretty sure you know that.
                      • Jerry Truitt
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 19, 2006

                          The out reach Friday Night July 21 is cancelled due to a lack of willing blood donors to the mosquito population at the bird sanctuary.

                          The Boy Scouts are still on for Saturday night at the Tuckahoe ball field.

                        • Jerry Truitt
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 21, 2007

                            Wow! I just got back from Pittsville Maryland . Pittsville is my second out reach this week. I did Secretary Maryland on Wednesday. I can tell you one thing for sure, interest in astronomy is really up.

                            At the Warwick Elementary School in Secretary I had 70 student and parents come to the event. That's not counting the local teens that were hanging around and saw me set up the scope and had to take a peek at the moon (it was only about 6:15 ).

                            The Pittsville Library had a count of 75 people who were mostly adults. Kerry O'Donnell and her staff do a great job of decorating the Pittsville Library in an astronomical theme for the event. They also have drinks and food plus drawings and they give away a lot of astronomy books and other astronomy type items. Yes this library is just a trailer in a parking lot of an elementary school but it obviously serves its community well.

                            Making the two hour drive to both events on Wednesday and Friday the sky was full of clouds and I was sure I was insane. Both nights the clouds blew off and we had a wonderful night of observing. I met many nice people who were really interested in our hobby.

                            Our club had another event going on in Dover at our old mirror grinding stomping grounds the Marine Estuary Center off Rt. 9. Lyle Jones was heading this one up and was expecting 40 people.

                          • truittjs
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 9, 2015
                              This year's Candlelit Caroling Celebration at Adkins Arboretum is scheduled for Saturday, December 12th from 6 to 9 p.m, and we have several club members planning on attending!  As always, they'd be welcome to enjoy the festivities, drinks, and refreshments.  Here's a description of the event:

                              Ring in the holiday season with an evening of light, music, hors d’oeuvres, and greenery at Adkins Arboretum.  Enjoy savories, sweets, and a wine bar in the gallery, accompanied by live musical performances. Arboretum docents will lead candlelit walks along the Blockston Branch, stopping along the way to sing carols and sip hot cider by a roaring bonfire.   A Delmarva Stargazer will be on hand to uncover the mysteries of the winter sky.  Top off the evening with a winter hayride around the meadows with a stop at the Funshine Garden for hot chocolate, cookies, and tree decorating.

                              We'll follow this up Monday with a sky gazing event at Pickering Creek Audubon Center starting at 8 pm.
                              See our web site's public events for directions.