Comet Machholz, continued

  • Jim Rosenstock
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
      VERY pretty presentatioon of the comet last night. Machholz was
      inside a pretty little circlet of 7 stars, with a V-shaped group of
      six more stars going off to the right. Don't know if this is a
      sparse open cluster (Collinder 33, possibly, though it doesn't quite
      match Machholz's ephemerides) or just a pretty asterism, but the
      effect was beautful. Best in big binos...I lost the full circlet in
      telescopic views, and small binos didn't bring out the
      asterism/cluster as well.

      A different view every night! Don't miss tonight's! Coming soon to
      your backyard!

      Clear skies,

      Jim
    • Norton Douglas (DTI)
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
        Steve Long, myself and Leonard White saw the comet after the club
        meeting in the church parking lot through my 10x50 binocs. Light
        pollution prevented us from seeing many stars surrounding the comet but
        it was bright. Right off the end of Epsilon Cassiopeia. Wish I could
        have been at a dark sky site. Maybe tonight. Clear skies!

        Douglas A. Norton
        Department of Technology & Information
        William Penn Data Center
        Phone: 302-739-9604