Re: [delmarvastargazers] Anyone dealt with Telescope Warehouse in LasVegas?

  • Chris Mazzola
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2001

      Thanks for the feedback Dan.

      Telescope Warehouse advertises on a few telescope online websites.

      I've been looking at their prices for eyepieces and filters.  (I have all the scopes I need... for a while at least)  :)

      Televue Nagler eyepieces advertised as "new 1st quality", some as much as $50-$120 less than Astronomics (31mm Type V for $500).

      A Lumicon O-III filter for 25% less than Astronomics....  (This one is reportedly new and first quality, but with no box for the holder.)

      Since it sounded too good to be true, I thought I'd ask you all.

      Of course if you know of any other reliable inexpensive mail-order suppliers, I'd love to hear about them!  I used to by from Pocono, but they've aparently gone under.

      -Chris

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2001

        Chris,

        Try Adorama Camera (1-800-223-2500) out of NY.  They consistently had better prices than Pocono.  Try calling vs. using the internet.  Sometimes you can get their sales guys to discount off published prices a little bit.  Have been able to do that with some Televue eyepieces but they have to maintain the published price Al Nagler wants.  Plus overall I think their prices are better.  I’ve also bought digital camera equipment from them.  By far the best price.  Never had a problem with them.

        As far as Pocono—they are gone for good.  Basically shut down by Meade—owed them too much money.  Some of the employees are opening a new store called High Point Scientific (I think) in a couple of months with someone else’s money.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25, 2001
          Ordered a schiefspigler on 4/9 from telescope warehouse.  It arrived badly damaged.  UPS picked it back up after Vorce contacted them.  For some reason, he would not refund my money right away.  After about 3 months(and a number of emails and phone calls) he sent me half my money back. Finally after just over 4 months he sent the rest. I had just  emailed him and threatened to complain to every one I knew and then learned the balance was already in the mail.  That turned out to be true.

          To give the guy the benefit of the doubt, I suspect the way he handled the refund that he couldn't afford to refund me any money until UPS settled with him.  Maybe his business is only marginally profitable and he has a lot of money tied up in his stock.  But that is pure speculation on my part.

          Good luck

          Flynn