Moon, Jupiter and Venus today

  • kentblackwell
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2004
      Moon and Jupiter Occultation

      As of 10:00 am the moon is an easy naked eye target on this
      magnificently clear Tuesday morning. Look about 4 fists to the right
      and slightly up from the sun to find it. It's best to shield your
      eyes from the sun while searching. Both the moon and Jupiter are
      bright in the 10x binoculars and each fit in the telescope field at
      60x. In fact I can even see cloud belts on Jupiter through my 4.5"
      StarBlast! Watch during the next hour as the moon overtakes Jupiter!
      Once these are sighted look to the left about 5-degrees for Venus.
      It, too, is a naked eye but a challenge.

      Kent Blackwell
    • ronrobisch
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2004
        Kent,

        Here's a photo from a few hours before the occultation:

        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/robisch/Astronomy/WebPICT0318.
        jpg

        By the way, I picked up Venus AND Jupiter naked eye in daylight - at
        6:50 this morning, roughly 10 minutes after sunrise. Also caught
        the 3rd contact of the occultation in my 7x50 binoculars.
        Beautiful!!!

        -Ron Robisch
        Monrovia MD

        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "kentblackwell"