Tues. 9PM - Mini comet?

  • M42Star@Verizon.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
      Hey Gang,
      Tuesday, Aug. 31 around 9PM I ventured outside to try and find Comet
      C/2003 K4 (LINEAR)- near Arcturus and Lo' - a white cloud, big as the
      moon! (My imagination went wild as I entertained the notion the damn
      thing blew apart.)
      After retreating to the house for camera/scope (and regaining some
      semblence of composure,) I realized it was not "exactly" where the
      comet should be. It traveled ~2 arc degrees in a only a few minutes,
      as well, indicating it was probably high up in the atmosphere.

      Through my 2.6" Selsi, it had very jet-like structure at first, which
      slowly dissipated. I watched it till it neared the zenith. About 10
      minutes. Perhaps longer.

      Anyone have a clue as to what I saw. . . if anything was reported,
      please post a response. Did anyone hear of a mini-comet burning up
      above us?

      My sister-in-law told me WBOC mentioned something of the sort
      Wednesday morning, but I did not catch the news.

      I've posted one of three photos I snapped. (Frame_24_1sm.jpg)
      It is a less-than 20-second exposure on Kodak 800 Tri-Max. 50mm @ f2.8
      Clear Skies,
      Rick Barnes
    • Bob Bunge
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
        There was a military launch from Kennedy. Apparently on the next orbit
        around, the payload separated and what you saw was light reflecting off
        a cloud fuel or something. It was pretty widely seen and reported.

        Bob

        M42Star@... wrote:
        > Hey Gang,
        > Tuesday, Aug. 31 around 9PM I ventured outside to try and find Comet
        > C/2003 K4 (LINEAR)- near Arcturus and Lo' - a white cloud, big as the
        > moon! (My imagination went wild as I entertained the notion the damn
        > thing blew apart.)
        > After retreating to the house for camera/scope (and regaining some
        > semblence of composure,) I realized it was not "exactly" where the
        > comet should be. It traveled ~2 arc degrees in a only a few minutes,
        > as well, indicating it was probably high up in the atmosphere.
        >
        > Through my 2.6" Selsi, it had very jet-like structure at first, which
        > slowly dissipated. I watched it till it neared the zenith. About 10
        > minutes. Perhaps longer.
        >
        > Anyone have a clue as to what I saw. . . if anything was reported,
        > please post a response. Did anyone hear of a mini-comet burning up
        > above us?
        >
        > My sister-in-law told me WBOC mentioned something of the sort
        > Wednesday morning, but I did not catch the news.
        >
        > I've posted one of three photos I snapped. (Frame_24_1sm.jpg)
        > It is a less-than 20-second exposure on Kodak 800 Tri-Max. 50mm @ f2.8
        > Clear Skies,
        > Rick Barnes

      • mark_oneal
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
          Hey that's really cool! I saw the same thing and wondered what it
          was. Through binoculars I sure thought it looked like an unusually
          bright cloud, but just assumed that's what it was.

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bunge <bbunge@l...>

        • mborgia@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2004
            Specifically, it was a dump of liquid hydrogen fuel from the spent Centaur upper stage of the Atlas 2AS rocket that launched the NRO payload.  This is a relatively common happenstance in launches using a Centaur.  This represents the historic last gasp of the classic Atlas program which had its final launch this week.  Though Atlas 5 rockets will continue to fly, these are entirely new vehicles which share little in common with the classic Atlas.