Re: [delmarvastargazers] Subject: Re: Keeping Trailers Cool Digest # 756

  • Steve Long
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004

      > Composite panels are relatively easy to paint. Sheet metal requires etching to
      > insure good adhesion or an etching primer, And then final painting. One of the
      > happiest days of my building airplanes was when I had to paint my first fiberglass
      > panel. Compared to painting aluminum, it was like I'd died and gone to heaven!
      >
      > BTW: Composite panels with foam or balsa cores, are naturally better thermal
      > insulators, independent of the color chosen. You still must protect the resin
      > matrix from UV and elevated temps.
      >
      > Art

      Art, are you in the industry? Or are you a homebuilder?

      Steve
    • PJ Riley
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
        If your trailer roof is 'silver' (AKA bare metal) -
        DON'T paint it white. The roof is left as bare metal
        because the 'silver' metal reflects more energy than a
        white roof (which reflects more energy than a blue,
        red or black roof). The roof is essentially
        'maximized' for reflectance.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Tim Milligan
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
          Thanks PJ... That's the impression I got. I guess the real question
          is to insulate the ceiling with something to stop the heat from
          radiating into the trailer.

          Tim

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, PJ Riley <pjr127@y...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
            Folks, I have been toying around with an idea...I have a roll of aluminized mylar film about 3-4 feet wide - maybe 10-15 mils thick.  i am considering making a cover for the top of my trailer and sewing in at least six pockets to accept 1.5" PVC pipe that would run the entire length of the trailer.  the PVC would provide an air space between the mylar and the trailer roof and also serve as a weighted anchor for the mylar.  additional security could be in the form of bungee cords from the PVC to the bottom of the trailer.  my trailer is 6X12; i expect the material to drop down a couple of inches on the sides(each side would be "terminated" with a PVC tube) and extend 6" past the front and back(so each PVC tube would be 13 feet long).

            i am hoping the aluminized mylar will reflect heat and the 1.5" PVC pipe will allow air flow between the mylar and galvanized roof(the roof should be kept as dry as possible to prevent the galvanized sheetmetal rusting).  I am hoping the net result will be a cooler roof panel.

            Comments are welcome...

            Don

            "Tim Milligan" <milligan@...>

            08/02/2004 10:11 AM

            Please respond to
            delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

            delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            cc
            Subject
            [delmarvastargazers] Re: Keeping Trailers Cool

            wrote:

            > If your trailer roof is 'silver' (AKA bare metal) -
            > DON'T paint it white.  The roof is left as bare metal
            > because the 'silver' metal reflects more energy than a
            > white roof (which reflects more energy than a blue,
            > red or black roof).  The roof is essentially
            > 'maximized' for reflectance.
            >
            > Pj

            > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/2.XolB/TM

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

            Francais  Deutsch  Italiano  Espanol  Portugues  Japanese  Chinese  Korean
            www.dupont.com/corp/email_disclaimer.html

          • Jerry Truitt
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
              Don

              I just hope we don't a sudden string of C5A's falling out of the sky
              from the wings melting off when they fly over your new mirrored
              trailer.

              --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don R Surles <Don.R.Surles-

            • Steve Long
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
                Jerry Truitt wrote:

                > Don
                >
                > I just hope we don't a sudden string of C5A's falling out of the sky
                > from the wings melting off when they fly over your new mirrored
                > trailer.

                Don must be very careful not to finish his "roof-roof" with a
                parabolic surface curve ...