Re: [delmarvastargazers] observatory/ scope shelter recommendations?

  • Bob Bunge
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
      Eric,

      I sized a "Amish built" wooden shed to be large enough for my scope plus
      storage room for the lawn mower and ordered it with a side door, so
      after I built some ramps, can roll my scope in and out. It has a roof
      ridge vent, but I added one of those round turning vent thingy that's
      powered by wind or temperature difference. There are some small windows
      that open, and I make sure these in the summer.

      I put a solar cell on the roof and for a year used it to run a fan that
      vented the mirror box whenever the sun is up and out. I never convinced
      myself this was of any help and the mirror got dirty very fast, even
      though there was a layer between it and the fan.

      I've wanted to put the fan under the rotating vent, but I've not done it.

      I've had no apparent problems with heat - I did get a white roof - and
      even on the hottest of days, it's always cooler in the shed, although
      some tree shade likely helps.

      The shed has a wooden floor - it was delivered assembled on the back of
      a truck. I placed it on about 4-inches of washed gravel. I don't have
      any problems with dust and it stays very dry. I just sweep it out once
      a year.

      I have found that covering the scope in the shed during storage helps to
      keep the mirror clean. Allot. If the scope isn't assembled, I drape a
      tarp or Desert Storm Shield over it. If the scope is assembled, I store
      it with the DSS over the OTA.

      And what's nice, if I ever move, it's just a nice shed.

      Bob

      Idea, though is to pull 110 power and store a dob with light bulb in the
      mirror box to chase away condensation - perhaps the worst problem I have.

      Eric Todd wrote:

      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > It has been a while and things have been quite busy for me lately. I
      > recently upgraded my scope to something larger and heavier (I'll leave
      > it a surprise until some images are obtained with it) and now I'm faced
      > with the "getting tired of setting up due to excessive weight" problem
      > (not that there have been that many decent nights lately or me finding
      > time to use it). In any case, I'm thinking of leaving this scope
      > outside in some sort of protective enclosure. I'm avoiding the big "o"
      > word (o for observatory) because I may not be in this location too much
      > longer and the light pollution is getting worse. Therefore, I've been
      > thinking of wheeling the scope out of a shed of sorts when I want to
      > use it. I like the vinyl sheds I've seen at Home Depot as one of those
      > may fit the bill. However, having the climate that we have around here,
      > which can vary greatly at times, my concerns with any type of enclosure
      > would include summertime heating, moisture, and dust. Therefore, since
      > you all have basically the same climate as me, I thought I might ask
      > about possible enclosures/ shelters/ observatories you are using? And
      > how has your shelter held up combatting moisture and the other
      > elements? What modifications were made to nullify the environmental
      > factors?
      >
      > If there is anything you'd like to share, and you have a shelter in the
      > Delmarva region, I'm open to suggestions and recommendations for the
      > design you used. I have actually been researching many different design
      > approaches on my own for quite some time, but it is only recently that I
      > realized I might be better off seeking out folks in a similar climate.
      > My goals are lowest cost, but durability, and wind/moisture/heat and
      > dust resistance. And the simpler the better, which is why I was
      > looking at vinyl.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for sharing your designs and suggestions,
      > Eric
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Eric Todd

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
          Hi Bob,

          Thanks for the info!  What you've described is pretty much what everyone else is saying with our climate.  You mentioned the mirror getting dirty- was this from dust getting through the vents and were any furnace type filters used over the vents?  I've heard a lot of good things about the desert storm covers and will definitely be getting one of those.  One of the guys I've talked to up north hangs a light bulb at the bottom of the cover to chase away condensation and it looks like that's what you're doing with the mirror box light.

          Many folks seem to go with the Amish made type sheds.  Are the prices/ construction, etc. better than kit or prefabs from DIY stores?

          There is a girl down south who bought a metal shed and then reinforced the interior with a wooden frame.  Insulation was then placed between the metal and wood and the ceiling had foam insulation.  I was considering doing this with the vinyl shed, but only if my scope will fit through the doors, which seem narrower than wooden/metal shed doors.

          Thanks for your input and, btw, any Jupiter reports/ sketches using the Dob?  I know the weather's been terrible, so I didn't know if you had good enough seeing to do anything.  I certainly haven't.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
            Eric,

            Comments below:

            Eric Todd wrote:

            > Thanks for the info! What you've described is pretty much what everyone
            > else is saying with our climate. You mentioned the mirror getting
            > dirty- was this from dust getting through the vents and were any furnace
            > type filters used over the vents? I've heard a lot of good things about

            I didn't try any filters, but did notice less dirt when there wasn't air
            blown through the mirror box several hours a day.

            > Many folks seem to go with the Amish made type sheds. Are the prices/
            > construction, etc. better than kit or prefabs from DIY stores?

            No idea, for me, the ones at the DIY stores were too small, so I didn't
            compare prices.

            > Thanks for your input and, btw, any Jupiter reports/ sketches using the
            > Dob? I know the weather's been terrible, so I didn't know if you
            > had good enough seeing to do anything. I certainly haven't.

            No, no looks at Jupiter. Mars is what trips my trigger enough to make
            me get out, but I do need to set up one of the small scopes sometime to
            look at the big J.

            Bob

            > Eric

          • jrtf
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
              I bought two Amish sheds, one 8x12 and one 12x20. Both excellent
              construction. The Amish procedure for installation one site could be
              improved. For the 12x20, they simply did not have the 4"x4"x8'
              they needed although I had checked with them about that.
              Just to make sure, I had lugged some 144 miles. A single fellow
              showed up for the delivery of the 12x20. He told me he could
              not have done it without my help. That is not the way it was
              supposed to be. That being said, I am most satisfied with both.
              The quality is very high and you have many options. For example,
              I asked for double flooring on both for added sturdiness.
              Jean-Paul Richard

              Eric Todd wrote:

              > Hi Bob,
              >
              > Thanks for the info! What you've described is pretty much what
              > everyone else is saying with our climate. You mentioned the mirror
              > getting dirty- was this from dust getting through the vents and were
              > any furnace type filters used over the vents? I've heard a lot of
              > good things about the desert storm covers and will definitely be
              > getting one of those. One of the guys I've talked to up north hangs a
              > light bulb at the bottom of the cover to chase away condensation and
              > it looks like that's what you're doing with the mirror box light.
              >
              > Many folks seem to go with the Amish made type sheds. Are the prices/
              > construction, etc. better than kit or prefabs from DIY stores?
              >
              > There is a girl down south who bought a metal shed and then reinforced
              > the interior with a wooden frame. Insulation was then placed between
              > the metal and wood and the ceiling had foam insulation. I was
              > considering doing this with the vinyl shed, but only if my scope will
              > fit through the doors, which seem narrower than wooden/metal shed doors.
              >
              > Thanks for your input and, btw, any Jupiter reports/ sketches using
              > the Dob? I know the weather's been terrible, so I didn't know if you
              > had good enough seeing to do anything. I certainly haven't.
              >
              > Eric

            • Eric Todd
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2004
                Thanks for the info, Jean-Paul.  Eric

                I bought two Amish sheds, one 8x12 and one 12x20. Both excellent
                construction.......(cut
              • Eric Todd
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 6, 2004
                  Thanks again, Bob, for the follow-up.  I guess you were a big Mars fan and you could certainly tell from your sketches.  Take any peeks at it lately?  Some folks are still imaging the now tiny planet with success, although there isn't a whole lot of detail visible now.  I may give it a go if the weather ever clears and the seeing is halfway decent.   BTW, one thing I notice about Jupiter is that it is VERY prone to seeing conditions and very hard to image decently.  Not sure why, but I think it has to do with lack of contrast, especially when compared to Mars.

                  Thanks again,
                  Eric