Comet

  • kentblackwell
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
      I hope some of you boys and girls got your little chilly bodies out
      under the stars this weekend to see Comet C2002 T7. "T7"?, sounds
      like a sci-fi movie with Schwartnegger in a walker. Anyway, it was
      really neat in the 10". I suspected a bright spot about 5' from the
      coma, looking NE from the coma. Sighting the comet in the 25"
      confirmed "something" was there. I suspected it to be a very faint
      galaxy, but nothing exists in that vacinity. Did anyone image it this
      weekend on CCD or...what is that other stuff called?...oh yea, FILM?

      Kent Blackwell
    • PJ Riley
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
        Kent,
        Just a couple of questions...

        Is this comet 'inbound'?

        If so, when will it reach it's closest proximity to
        us.

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      • kentblackwell
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
          Comet C2002 T7 LINEAR reaches greatest perihelion on April 22. As a
          point of interest, next week the comet will sail within 1/2-degree
          east of the bright 2.8m mag star Algenib in the sqare of Pegasus.
          It'll be near this star all week. Will that make it easy to find the
          comet? Yes. Will it make it easy to see the comet? Probably not!

          Kent Blackwell

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, PJ Riley <pjr127@y...>
          wrote:
          > Kent,
          > Just a couple of questions...
          >
          > Is this comet 'inbound'?
          >
          > If so, when will it reach it's closest proximity to
          > us.
          >
          > Pj

          > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
        • Michael Stephano
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2004
            I went out last night with my 80mm and looked at Neat. It is a
            blurry blob but very obvious. I also used my 7x50 bino for a wide
            field view. With these I could make out some traces of a tail. At
            one point I was able to make the comet with my naked eye. My kids
            where unimpressed hoping for a tail.

            Mike
            Orion ST-80
            N-8i