Re: [delmarvastargazers] Digest Number 623 HEATED CLOTHING

  • Art Bianconi
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 3:51 PM
      Besides being an avid astronomer and ATM, I love riding my motorcycle and flying
      open cockpit airplanes.

      In November of 2001, I bought a brand new Honda VTX 1800.

      By May of the following Spring, the bike had almost 8500 miles on it! This is a lot by
      most any standards but what makes it even more so was that it was done through
      the winter months when most bikes are packed away, waiting for warm weather.

      This is all made possible by a combination of electric garments made by

      Gerbings Heated Clothing, Inc.
      East 750 Dalby Road
      Union, Washington 98592
      (800) 646-5916

      They have a web site but I can't recall the link

      I have a full sleeved electrically heated jacket, electric socks and electric leather
      gloves. Thus far the pants have not been needed but they are available should I
      choose. This entire rig draws less than 100 watts at 12 VDC

      The electric jacket is worn over my shirt. The electric socks are worn over heavy
      athletic socks not to make things warmer but to prevent their getting soiled or sweaty
      and thus minimize the need for washing.

      My ability to do this level of riding in the weather, also makes it possible to fly in the
      cold air of December where the 90 mph wind creates a wind chill factor of 15 to 20
      below zero. It also makes it possible to stand outdoors in the dead of Winter through
      the normally chilling mountaintop winds outside the observatory in North NJ (NJAA-
      Vorhees)

      When others feel their fingers or toes go numb, they disappear to the nearest
      shelter. Not me! The trick is to keep the extremities warm: head, hands and feet.

      Electric socks and glovers will run you about $100 and a small Uasa motorcycle
      battery will keep you toasty for about 10 hours between charges and drive
      your.tracking system too.

      If anyone is going to the Mid Atlantic Mirror event near Dover, Delaware next month
      and wishes to see them, drop me a post and I'll bring the heated clothing.

      Art Bianconi
      Milford, NJ
      artbianconi@...

      Message: 6
      Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:24:17 -0500
      From: Steve Long <longsteven@...>
      Subject: Re: heated clothing

      "James T. Morgan" wrote:

      > Steve, share with us the source of the 12 v heated
      > outer wear. I would like to try somethings.
      >
      > James

      Jim, you know that my tongue was well into my cheek when I
      wrote that message. However ...

      Widder makes some -- in the mid-1970s I often rode a Beemer
      more than an hour in temps down to 20 degrees, wearing among
      other things a snowmobile suit and a 75-watt Widder electric
      vest.

      www.widder.com

      Gerbing makes some --
      www.gerbing.com

      Aerostitch sells some, I believe --

      www.aerostitch.com

      And there are others. A complete set of clothing will set
      you back about a Nagler 31.

      But I wasn't kidding about the deep-cycle marine battery. A
      full outfit run continuously will pull more than 15 amps at
      12 volts. The battery I run my scope with would barely last
      an hour. And you probably can't heat the socks without the
      pants/without the jacket/etc. You can't even use these
      outfits on some motorcycles; the alternators don't provide
      enough extra wattage to keep the clothes warm without
      discharging the battery.

      There are electric socks that run off nine-volt batteries,
      and I think there are gloves made the same way. They would
      be cheaper, if you bought an octet of good NiMH
      rechargeables and a fast recharger. I think they run for an
      hour or two, and if you get a small Radio Shack inverter you
      could recharge them in the field. I've seen online (but
      can't remember where) a heated balaclava, for construction
      workers, (probably working along the Alaska oil line.)

      A *good* $200 snowmobile suit from Cabela's, a complement of
      $3 chemical warming packs worn one at a time under your
      shirt, and a couple of ounces of single-malt antifreeze,
      would probably get one comfortably through a night's
      observing at Tuckahoe ...

      www.cabelas.com

      Steve