Spruce Knob trip

  • jmorris@goeaston.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      This is a copy of a letter I sent to Keith.

      Joe Morris wrote:

      > Keith -- I'm planning to head for WV on Tues., July 17th and leave
      > Sunday, July 22nd. You are welcome to come for all, some, or more.
      > Spruce Knob is about a 6 hr drive for me including one fuel stop and
      one
      > lunch stop. There are two ways to get there. For both, one heads
      > around the DC Beltway (usually going around the South side is best
      > unless there's traffic problems on the Wilson Bridge) and taking I
      66
      > West to I 81. At that point, I've been taking Rt. 55 to Petersburg,
      WV
      > and Rt. 28 to the road that heads up the mountain. There's a lot of
      > construction on that road now and I may try I 81 to Harrisonburg,
      Va.
      > and Rt. 250 to Rt. 28. The only problem with this route is the time
      > loss going through Harrisonburg. Also for me, I miss a nice WV
      State
      > Park (Seneca Rocks) to fill my camper up with water before heading
      up
      > the mountain.
      >
      > There are three camping choices, Seneca Shadows (near Seneca Rocks)
      is
      > a nice, clean, new NFS campground. Some of the sites have electric
      and
      > water is nearby. There are several bathhouses around the compound.
      > think the rate is about $15/night. Info and reservations can be
      made
      > at http://www.ReserveUSA.com/nrrs/wv/sene/ It is about a one hour
      trip
      > to the viewing site on Spruce Knob.
      >
      > The second place is the Spruce Knob Lake Campground on the mountain
      run
      > by the NFS. It has about thirty individual campsites, pit toilets,
      and
      > well water. The fee is $7/night. No reservation can be made, but
      > usually there are sites available. It is about a 15 min drive to
      the
      > viewing site.
      >
      > The third and probably the best is a Group Campsite that has about
      10
      > sites called Gatewood. It too is run by the NFS. There is no
      nightly
      > fee and offers only pit toilets. The campsites are not well defined
      but
      > there are picnic tables and campfire pits. The viewing site is a
      meadow
      > about 2-3 A and is next to the campground. Unfortunately, it is
      blocked
      > to vehicles so you have to carry your telescope gear about 50 yds.
      They
      > don't like people to camp out in the meadow. Water needs to be
      hauled
      > in and is available at the Spruce Knob Lake Campground. If we go
      early,
      > we can probably tie up most of the campsite with our club. The site
      is
      > used be the Northern Virginia Astronomical Club and they will
      probably
      > roll in for the weekend. Also there are a few campers that may be
      > there. More info on Gatewood is at
      > http://www.geocities.com/jcnusbaum/GatewoodPage.html
      >
      > So far Tim Milligan and one other person( I can't remember who) are
      the
      > only ones that have contacted me. Could you post this email on our
      > yahoo chat group since I don't know how. Let me know and I'll try
      > make next Tues. meeting so we can firm things up.
    • Joe Morris
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2002
        Sorry to spring this on everyone late but I just found out there will be a
        $5/night camping fee at the Mountain Institute. I didn't argue very hard
        since I think it is fair. Just wish I'd known about it so I could be more
        up front with everyone. Maybe the campers will have a little rank now and
        have more access to other facilities such as bathhouse, etc. and we won't
        feel so guilty about running over to stock up on water.

        I feel responsible for this and if someone was planning on coming and this
        change will affect their plans, I'll offer to pick up their tab.
      • Dan Kidwell
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2002
          Joe, Still a good deal.
          Dan
          P.S. Have you sent directions??

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2002
            Dan -- Check out our website. Keith spent some time putting good directions
            there.