Re: [delmarvastargazers] speaking of unit conversion problems!

  • suburbangy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
      Yes, 1.45 Meters.

      Bill Hartung

      One would hope manned missions are more carefully thought out!

      In a message dated 1/11/04 7:29:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, bdj470@... writes:
      So what should it have really said? 1.45 Meters?

      Bill

      At 10:24 PM 1/10/2004, you wrote:
      Here's 1/10 AP headline about the Spririt rover on Mars.  This is off
      the CNN website:

      >Rover ready to leave lander, explore Mars
      >
      >PASADENA, California (AP) -- NASA's Spirit rover has fully unfolded
      >itself and stretched up to its full 4-foot, 9-inch (1.45-centimeters)
      >height, making it ready to drive off the lander that delivered it to
      >Mars, the space agency said Saturday.

      So the next time you hear a joke about NASA messing up unit
      conversion... :-)

      Bob

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Steve Long
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
        The exact word-for-word article appeared in my local newspaper this
        morning, *without* the conversion to metric; so the fault is probably
        with CNN and not with the AP.

        Or else the local editor assumed no one would know centimeters from
        centipedes, and took it out for that reason ...

        Steve
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
          the cure for these types of uh-oh's is to create a single system for
          counting, measuring, and currency.

          many years ago when i was trying to teach high schoolers the error ratio
          between problems involving currency:noncurrency was somewhere in the 10:1
          range; ie, kids learn and know money because it is real - comething they
          can touch, visualize, and spend.

          remember pecks, rods, links, cubits, etc? and cord?

          just an observation...

          Don

          Bob Bunge <bbunge@...> on 01/10/2004 10:24:12 PM

          Please respond to delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

          To: novac@..., delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
          cc:
          Subject: [delmarvastargazers] speaking of unit conversion problems!

          Here's 1/10 AP headline about the Spririt rover on Mars. This is off
          the CNN website:

          >Rover ready to leave lander, explore Mars
          >
          >PASADENA, California (AP) -- NASA's Spirit rover has fully unfolded
          >itself and stretched up to its full 4-foot, 9-inch (1.45-centimeters)
          >height, making it ready to drive off the lander that delivered it to
          >Mars, the space agency said Saturday.

          So the next time you hear a joke about NASA messing up unit
          conversion... :-)

          Bob

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
          in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
          by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
          explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
          this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
          or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
          a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
          purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

          Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean

        • Steve Long
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
            Don R Surles wrote:

            > remember pecks, rods, links, cubits, etc? and cord?

            Quintals? Podals? Roods? Hectares? Firkins? Noggins? Farthings?
            Leagues? Fathoms? How many "south forty's" would you have to own to
            own a square mile of land? When they speak of the "Dover Hundred,"
            what is that a measure of, and how large is it?

            And folks want to stick with the "English" system of measurement
            because the metric system is too confusing?
          • Paul Gray
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
              Steve and all,

              Problem is the journalist who havea BA in history or English covering
              science stories. They have know clue as to what the scientista re
              talkignabout and then have no clue or understandingat on on the
              measuremt or size of space or anything astronomical.

              Just my two cents worth....

              Paul

              --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Steve Long
              <longsteven@c...> wrote:
              > The exact word-for-word article appeared in my local newspaper this
              > morning, *without* the conversion to metric; so the fault is
              probably
              > with CNN and not with the AP.
              >
              > Or else the local editor assumed no one would know centimeters from
              > centipedes, and took it out for that reason ...
              >
              > Steve
            • Paul Gray
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
                Hey Don,

                You wrote:

                --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Don R Surles"
                <Don.R.Surles-1@u...> wrote:

                > the cure for these types of uh-oh's is to create a single system for
                > counting, measuring, and currency.

                Actully Don the rest of the world has a standard system for all the
                above.....Its called Metric! Part of the System International units.
                LMAO

                Running and Ducking the cannuck from the north!

                Paul Gray
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
                  shillings? farthings? quids? pence?

                  Paul, I grew up with ungodly horsepower from engines with 409 & 427 cubic
                  inches, multiple 2 & 4 barrel carbs, 4 speed transmissions and a dragstrip
                  of 1/4 mile with eta in seconds and speed in miles per hour. changing all
                  that is like asking the pope to become baptist, actually a southern
                  baptist.

                  but i can handle kilometers; just a K X .6 = miles

                  Don...

                  "Paul Gray" <perserid@...> on 01/11/2004 08:35:05 PM

                  Please respond to delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                  To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                  cc:
                  Subject: [delmarvastargazers] Re: speaking of unit conversion problems!

                  Hey Don,

                  <Don.R.Surles-1@u...> wrote:

                  > the cure for these types of uh-oh's is to create a single system for
                  > counting, measuring, and currency.

                  Actully Don the rest of the world has a standard system for all the
                  above.....Its called Metric! Part of the System International units.
                  LMAO

                  Running and Ducking the cannuck from the north!

                  Paul Gray

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
                  in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
                  by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
                  explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
                  this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
                  or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
                  a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
                  purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

                  Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean

                • PJ
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 12, 2004
                    Don,

                    Since you can convert Km to miles, explain the two signs in the photo
                    I uploaded named "metric...."

                    According to that road crew, it's a little different....

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 12, 2004
                      Paul, that must be a great pic for the stealth industry. Can you give this
                      kuntry boy a hint where i might find it?

                      Don...

                      "PJ" <pjr127@...> on 01/12/2004 10:55:20 AM

                      Please respond to delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                      To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                      cc:

                      Don,

                      Since you can convert Km to miles, explain the two signs in the photo
                      I uploaded named "metric...."

                      According to that road crew, it's a little different....

                      Pj

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
                      in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
                      by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
                      explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
                      this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
                      or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
                      a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
                      purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

                      Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean

                    • PJ Riley
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 13, 2004
                        Don,
                        That sign was reported to be in Al.
                        Pj
                        P.S. The person who took the pic did say the error
                        was on the english side, mile marker 72 and 81 were
                        extremely 'close' (no marker for mile 73,74,etc.)

                        --- Don R Surles <Don.R.Surles-1@...>