Re: [delmarvastargazers] speaking of unit conversion problems!

  • Bill Davis Jr
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
      So what should it have really said? 1.45 Meters?

      Bill

      At 10:24 PM 1/10/2004, you wrote:
      Here's 1/10 AP headline about the Spririt rover on Mars.  This is off
      the CNN website:

      >Rover ready to leave lander, explore Mars
      >
      >PASADENA, California (AP) -- NASA's Spirit rover has fully unfolded
      >itself and stretched up to its full 4-foot, 9-inch (1.45-centimeters)
      >height, making it ready to drive off the lander that delivered it to
      >Mars, the space agency said Saturday.

      So the next time you hear a joke about NASA messing up unit
      conversion... :-)

      Bob
    • suburbangy@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
        Yes, 1.45 Meters.

        Bill Hartung

        One would hope manned missions are more carefully thought out!

        At 10:24 PM 1/10/2004, you wrote:
        Here's 1/10 AP headline about the Spririt rover on Mars.  This is off
        the CNN website:

        >Rover ready to leave lander, explore Mars
        >
        >PASADENA, California (AP) -- NASA's Spirit rover has fully unfolded
        >itself and stretched up to its full 4-foot, 9-inch (1.45-centimeters)
        >height, making it ready to drive off the lander that delivered it to
        >Mars, the space agency said Saturday.

        So the next time you hear a joke about NASA messing up unit
        conversion... :-)

        Bob

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Steve Long
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
          The exact word-for-word article appeared in my local newspaper this
          morning, *without* the conversion to metric; so the fault is probably
          with CNN and not with the AP.

          Or else the local editor assumed no one would know centimeters from
          centipedes, and took it out for that reason ...

          Steve
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
            the cure for these types of uh-oh's is to create a single system for
            counting, measuring, and currency.

            many years ago when i was trying to teach high schoolers the error ratio
            between problems involving currency:noncurrency was somewhere in the 10:1
            range; ie, kids learn and know money because it is real - comething they
            can touch, visualize, and spend.

            remember pecks, rods, links, cubits, etc? and cord?

            just an observation...

            Don

            Bob Bunge <bbunge@...> on 01/10/2004 10:24:12 PM

            Please respond to delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

            To: novac@..., delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            cc:
            Subject: [delmarvastargazers] speaking of unit conversion problems!

            Here's 1/10 AP headline about the Spririt rover on Mars. This is off
            the CNN website:

            >Rover ready to leave lander, explore Mars
            >
            >PASADENA, California (AP) -- NASA's Spirit rover has fully unfolded
            >itself and stretched up to its full 4-foot, 9-inch (1.45-centimeters)
            >height, making it ready to drive off the lander that delivered it to
            >Mars, the space agency said Saturday.

            So the next time you hear a joke about NASA messing up unit
            conversion... :-)

            Bob

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
            in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
            by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
            explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
            this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
            or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
            a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
            purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

            Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean

          • Steve Long
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
              Don R Surles wrote:

              > remember pecks, rods, links, cubits, etc? and cord?

              Quintals? Podals? Roods? Hectares? Firkins? Noggins? Farthings?
              Leagues? Fathoms? How many "south forty's" would you have to own to
              own a square mile of land? When they speak of the "Dover Hundred,"
              what is that a measure of, and how large is it?

              And folks want to stick with the "English" system of measurement
              because the metric system is too confusing?
            • Paul Gray
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
                Steve and all,

                Problem is the journalist who havea BA in history or English covering
                science stories. They have know clue as to what the scientista re
                talkignabout and then have no clue or understandingat on on the
                measuremt or size of space or anything astronomical.

                Just my two cents worth....

                Paul

                --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Steve Long
                <longsteven@c...> wrote:
                > The exact word-for-word article appeared in my local newspaper this
                > morning, *without* the conversion to metric; so the fault is
                probably
                > with CNN and not with the AP.
                >
                > Or else the local editor assumed no one would know centimeters from
                > centipedes, and took it out for that reason ...
                >
                > Steve
              • Paul Gray
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
                  Hey Don,

                  You wrote:

                  --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Don R Surles"
                  <Don.R.Surles-1@u...> wrote:

                  > the cure for these types of uh-oh's is to create a single system for
                  > counting, measuring, and currency.

                  Actully Don the rest of the world has a standard system for all the
                  above.....Its called Metric! Part of the System International units.
                  LMAO

                  Running and Ducking the cannuck from the north!

                  Paul Gray
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 11, 2004
                    shillings? farthings? quids? pence?

                    Paul, I grew up with ungodly horsepower from engines with 409 & 427 cubic
                    inches, multiple 2 & 4 barrel carbs, 4 speed transmissions and a dragstrip
                    of 1/4 mile with eta in seconds and speed in miles per hour. changing all
                    that is like asking the pope to become baptist, actually a southern
                    baptist.

                    but i can handle kilometers; just a K X .6 = miles

                    Don...

                    "Paul Gray" <perserid@...> on 01/11/2004 08:35:05 PM

                    Please respond to delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                    To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                    cc:
                    Subject: [delmarvastargazers] Re: speaking of unit conversion problems!

                    Hey Don,

                    <Don.R.Surles-1@u...> wrote:

                    > the cure for these types of uh-oh's is to create a single system for
                    > counting, measuring, and currency.

                    Actully Don the rest of the world has a standard system for all the
                    above.....Its called Metric! Part of the System International units.
                    LMAO

                    Running and Ducking the cannuck from the north!

                    Paul Gray

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
                    in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
                    by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
                    explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
                    this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
                    or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
                    a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
                    purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

                    Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean

                  • PJ
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 12, 2004
                      Don,

                      Since you can convert Km to miles, explain the two signs in the photo
                      I uploaded named "metric...."

                      According to that road crew, it's a little different....

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 12, 2004
                        Paul, that must be a great pic for the stealth industry. Can you give this
                        kuntry boy a hint where i might find it?

                        Don...

                        "PJ" <pjr127@...> on 01/12/2004 10:55:20 AM

                        Please respond to delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                        To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                        cc:

                        Don,

                        Since you can convert Km to miles, explain the two signs in the photo
                        I uploaded named "metric...."

                        According to that road crew, it's a little different....

                        Pj

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        To visit your group on the web, go to:

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
                        in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
                        by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
                        explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
                        this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
                        or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
                        a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
                        purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

                        Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean

                      • PJ Riley
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 13, 2004
                          Don,
                          That sign was reported to be in Al.
                          Pj
                          P.S. The person who took the pic did say the error
                          was on the english side, mile marker 72 and 81 were
                          extremely 'close' (no marker for mile 73,74,etc.)

                          --- Don R Surles <Don.R.Surles-1@...>