Teresa Young...

  • strix@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2001
      You're no chicken. It freaked me out quite a bit for a while during my first nights alone at Tuckahoe. I hated going there by myself which is quite spooky at night when you're alone. But those noises are deer huffing and puffing. Dan Kidwell and myself are very familiar with our old friend. All that noise is, is a nervous warning. They don't like you being in their territory and are warning you that that's exactly where you are, "their" territory. But I've learned that they will not harm you. So if you're there alone again, that's all it is. When I was photographing wildlife at a farm in Maryland I managed to scare up a deer that had bedded down in some brush. As she was running away I crouched down behind some weeds. She stopped and turned around to see if I was following her and when she didn't see me, she started stamping her feet and huffing and puffing to get me to move so she could get a fix on me. It was the funniest thing. Finally I got up and she ran off. So don't be too frightened by that noise.

      Doug Norton

      http://www.mail2web.com/ .