Re: [delmarvastargazers] Aurora Watch

  • S. Kent Blackwell
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2003
      Our forecast in Tidewater, VA is 80% chance of rain tonight. The good thing it's supposed to be clear for Saturday night's lunar eclipse. We're having an eclipse watch at the Chesapeake Planetarium in Chesapeake, VA. What are you guys doing?

      Kent Blackwell
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2003

        Don Surles, myself and possibly Steve Long will be heading out to Woodland Beach to watch and photograph the eclipse.

        Douglas A. Norton
        Telecom/Network Technician
        Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles
        voice 302.744.2605 / fax 302.739.2140
        email Douglas.Norton@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2003
          Lunar Eclipse Watch...several of us are going to Woodland Beach (due east
          of Smyrna, DE) for the eclipse. From there we have about 6-8 miles of
          Delaware River and then the South Jersey tidal marshes for another 5-6
          miles. So, there should be a minimum of "city glow". Plus, we may have
          passing ship in the channel for photographic opportunities. I have never
          seen an eclipsed moon rise from the water - this one should be interesting.

          And I have an old Koni-Omega 6X9 camera that I plan to use for multiple
          exposures to track the moon's progress into the umbra. By my calcs I think
          I can get about 2 hours movement on one exposure.

          I believe the forecast is for clear, cold, and windy conditions. So, I
          will take the trailer and a heater...for the wusses who can't face the
          north wind blowing down the river.

          All Star Gazers are invited to join us.

          Don...

          "S. Kent Blackwell" <kent@...> on 11/06/2003 08:29:47 AM

          Please respond to delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

          To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
          cc:
          Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] Aurora Watch

          Our forecast in Tidewater, VA is 80% chance of rain tonight. The good thing
          it's supposed to be clear for Saturday night's lunar eclipse. We're having
          an eclipse watch at the Chesapeake Planetarium in Chesapeake, VA. What are
          you guys doing?

          Kent Blackwell
          It appears that the sun is at it again and active sunspot region 10486
          has spawned a final going away present as it rotates off the western limb
          of the sun. Yesterday about 2:47 PM EST it belched what might have been
          the biggest x-ray flare ever observed in history. Even though most of the
          CME associated with the event will pass well to the west of Earth, there is
          sufficient activity to spur aroural activity. An alert has been issued for
          0200 Local time tonight by Space Watch

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          (See attached file: C.htm)

          information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
          in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
          by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
          explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
          this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
          or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
          a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
          purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

          Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean

        • Steve Long
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2003
            > "Michael P. Borgia" wrote:
            >
            > It appears that the sun is at it again and active sunspot region
            > 10486 has spawned a final going away present as it rotates off the
            > western limb of the sun. Yesterday about 2:47 PM EST it belched
            > what might have been the biggest x-ray flare ever observed in
            > history. Even though most of the CME associated with the event will
            > pass well to the west of Earth, there is sufficient activity to spur
            > aroural activity. An alert has been issued for 0200 Local time
            > tonight by Space Watch

            Remember to bring your SCUBA gear ...
          • Dave Wells
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2003
              --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Don R Surles"
              <Don.R.Surles-1@u...> wrote:

              > All Star Gazers are invited to join us.
              >
              > Don...

              Don,

              I am not going to Rehoboth Beach for the weekend, so I will probably
              join you at Woodland Beach.

              Is there a particular location there, where you were planning to set
              up?

              Dave

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2003
                  Cosmic Geometry! as viewed from downtown Woodlland Beach, DE. Several
                  Star Gazers gathered on the western shore of the Delaware River late
                  Saturday afternoon to watch our moon glide into the shadow of planet Earth.
                  We were not disappointed.

                  First to greet us was a cold, stiff north wind blowing down the river and
                  spilling over into the parking lot where we set up. After a few minutes we
                  sort of circled the wagons, ie, we put my trailer and van parallel with the
                  river and Tom Pomponio put his van opposite the space between my van and
                  trailer to "plug the hole". This made viewing the eclipse more enjoyable.

                  I set up the Chinese 25X100 bino for viewing the event and they presented a
                  wonderful view of Earth's curved shadow advancing across the Moon's
                  surface. Even at totality the dimmed view of the moon could be seen - with
                  a few high clouds scooting across. The old sooper dooper heavy dooty
                  tripod rescued from Jim Acker's photo stoodio also performed well. No one
                  was successful in knocking it over and the crankup-crankdown feature
                  allowed us to accomodate the vertically challenged lunar eclipse observers.
                  The 25X100 is definitely one of the best astro toys I have purchased in
                  many moons; but, you should understand you may have to scrounge around in
                  someone's junk pile to find a tripod that is suitable for it's weight and
                  size.

                  As I watched the event I could relate to how our ancestors might have
                  conjured up some supernatural force to explain what was happening - a
                  beautiful full moon decreasing in brilliance and finally falling into a
                  completely unexplained dimming. Yes, this could only be the work of some
                  sinister god or revenge for some actions of fellow humans - worse yet, it
                  could be an omen of some future disaster.

                  There was a mystique created by the sound of the rising tide, the wind, the
                  river traffic (several craft were on the river - evidenced by their
                  running lights), the nucular (Bush-ism) power plant, the eclipse, and thin
                  clouds over the totality phase of the event. This was truly an event I
                  will remember for a long time.

                  Star Gazers who answered roll call were: Doug Norton, John and Barb Flynn,
                  Tom Pomponio, Dave Wells, Jim Acker, Mark Holloway, Steve Long, Larry
                  Koewing, (if I missed someone it is not intentional). And there were
                  several folks who stopped by to see what we were doing...people who just
                  happened to be in Woodland Beach on Saturday night. Probably came down to
                  wait for the Mother Ship...

                  Now for the Leonids!

                  Don Surles