Tuckahoe...

  • Douglas A. Norton
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5 5:24 AM
      I went to Tuckahoe on Saturday evening despite the moon being 71%
      illuminated. A few people said they would be out there providing clear
      weather. But only Steve Long and I were out there for the night. It was
      double star night for me. I took my Celestron 4-inch refractor out to the
      field with me this time. What a night. Very cold, very clear and VERY steady.
      I arrived at 5:00 pm and looked at Venus while waiting for it to get dark
      enough for me to polar align. Nothing beats a refractor for crisp images. It
      almost looked like the moon in partial phase. I could easily see the crescent
      shape. And of course I looked at Jupiter and Saturn but nothing new here.
      Spectacular as usual. Then I turned my scope on the moon. Wow!!! I have never
      seen it so crisp and clear. It looked 3D!! So many features to look at. Of
      course looking through the scope with Nagler eyepieces really helps too. But
      wow what a sight. After that it was time to hunt down the doubles. Paul
      should be happy to know that I Star Hopped to all of them!! Happy Paul?
      Anyway, I ended up finding 16 new doubles before packing it up at around
      11:00 pm. The most outstanding two I found were actually triple star systems
      and boy is that a neat sight!!! Beta Monoceros is the best of them. Although
      it was tough to split at 50x, it was really nice at over 100x. You have to
      check this one out!! All the components were of equal size and equal
      brightness. And the other triple was 12 Lynx. This one was tougher but no
      less thrilling to see. Again all components were of equal size and
      brightness. Of the other 14 doubles they were of all different types. Some
      were different in color, some orange and blue others steel grey with slight
      rust components. And some were super bright primaries with very faint
      secondaries and a wide variety of separations to match. So I guess my moral
      for this story is that even though you can't hunt down faint galaxies on
      moonlit nights, there's still plenty to see!!! So get your butts out there!
      (Although I did see the Eskimo Nebula through the 4-inch with no problem!) So
      anyway, just thought I would fill you in on the latest outing. Hope everyone
      is getting ready for the star party. Clear skies!

      Doug Norton
      OIS/Customer Services
      Phone: 302.739.9524
      E-Mail: DNorton@...
    • Frank.sheldon
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7 3:30 AM
        Hi Guys.
        FWIW....
        The shuttle Atlantis will become visible almost due south
        about 7 minutes and 20 seconds after launch. WBZ (1030 AM) usually covers the
        launch so you can set your time. Within about 2 minutes the show is over but
        if you've got a clear view to the south and south-east, the show is
        spectacular (At least in my humble opinion!). After the main engine cutoff
        (MECO) at t+8:30 wait 10 more seconds to catch the release of the main fuel
        tank. After that, you can see the OMS engine bursts as they maneuver away
        from the tank and fine-tune their trajectory!
        Clear Skies!
        Frank Sheldon
      • Frank.sheldon
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7 3:41 AM
          FWIW from Frank Sheldon

          Below is a reminder of this from the Boston Amateur Telescope Makers
          e-list. But it will also be visible from the Washington, DC region
          about 5 minutes after launch, visible in the southeast and east, only
          about 5 deg. above the horizon, so you need a low unobstructed
          horizon in that direction. It will be higher for those living closer
          to the Atlantic coast, so I'm also copying this to observers in New
          Jersey, for example. I suppose that CNN, possibly other news
          stations, and perhaps WTOP (1500 AM) will probably cover the launch
          live so you know when launch is, and then when to look.
          The ISS was observed this evening from Bowie before the clouds
          moved in there, but they moved across most of the rest of the DC
          area earlier to prevent most of us from seeing it.
          David Dunham

          Sender: owner-atmob-discuss@...

          Thanks, Lew for the reminder. The launch is scheduled for 6:11 p.m. EST on
          Wednesday night. The shuttle Atlantis will become visible almost due south
          about 7 minutes and 20 seconds after launch. WBZ (1030 AM) usually covers the
          launch so you can set your time. Within about 2 minutes the show is over but
          if you've got a clear view to the south and south-east, the show is
          spectacular (At least in my humble opinion!). After the main engine cutoff
          (MECO) at t+8:30 wait 10 more seconds to catch the release of the main fuel
          tank. After that, you can see the OMS engine bursts as they maneuver away
          from the tank and fine-tune their trajectory!

          Clear Skies,
          Rich Nugent
        • Douglas A. Norton
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 10 8:47 AM
            I plan on going to Tuckahoe tonight, Saturday Feb 10.
            Anyone else want to go?

            Doug Norton
          • Steve Long
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 10 5:11 PM
              Doug:

              I can't make it ... I'm going over to my son's house to have dinner and
              try to fix his comupter (again).

              Good seeing!!!!

              Steve
            • Richaudgar@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 13 1:03 PM
                Been out of touch lately in the wilds of Canada -- what day is the launch?
              • Douglas A. Norton
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 14, 2001
                  If the forecast holds up and looks good towards the end of the day, I will
                  be there.
                  I will have to go back to Wilmington to get my stuff, but I will be there
                  around dark. We
                  should have plenty of dark because the moon won't rise until almost midnight.
                  I have a
                  few Messier objects to hunt down tonight. Hope to see someone there....

                  Doug Norton
                  OIS/Customer Services
                  Phone: 302.739.9524
                  E-Mail: DNorton@...
                • strix@mindspring.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 21, 2002
                    Tonight looks bad. But tomorrow is a strong possibility. Anyone up for it, or maybe even Saturday evening? Well just thought I'd get the word out.

                    Doug Norton

                    http://mail2web.com/ .
                  • Steven Long
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 21, 2002
                      Doug:

                      Tuckahoe on Friday sounds really good. I'm topping off my
                      12-volt battery and cleaning my eyepieces and my thermal
                      underwear. :-)

                      The moon might hang around til late, but I hope to hang around later.

                      See ya there!

                      Steve
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 11 1:34 PM

                        Doug & Marlene: I am now in Smyrna - it is cloudy in the south, west & north - that is not good for stargazing.

                        I think I will nix the Tuckahoe trip tonight.  If it clears up we can go to Blackbird Forest.

                        Marlene, my phone number is 302- 653-9445 - please call so i can give you directions to BBSF or to my house.

                        If anyone else is going to T-Hoe and needs the gate combination please call me.

                        Tomorrow night is supposed to be clear - that sounds like a good time for T-hoe.

                        Don...

                        "Norton Douglas \(DTI\)" <Douglas.Norton@...>

                        02/11/2005 03:24 PM

                        Don R Surles/AE/DuPont@DuPont
                        cc
                        Subject
                        RE: Tuckahoe...

                        OK I will be there at 6:30.

                        Douglas A. Norton

                        Department of Technology & Information

                        William Penn Data Center

                        Phone: 302-739-9604

                        Fax: 302-677-7003

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 11 8:37 PM
                          Shame on all of you who doubted the skies tonight at Tuckahoe. I
                          arrived at 6:30 to partly cloudy skies to the west and north
                          horizons, and CLEAR skies to the south, west and overhead. It was
                          breezy from time to time, but the skies held clear. In fact by 9PM it
                          was totally clear all the way around. I got to enjoy it all by
                          myself....

                          Mark
                        • Teresa T. Young
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 12 1:09 PM
                            All,

                            I was too tired to go out last night, but am going to try to get
                            there tonight. Anyone else coming?

                            Teri

                            mark_oneal wrote:

                            >Shame on all of you who doubted the skies tonight at Tuckahoe. I
                            >arrived at 6:30 to partly cloudy skies to the west and north
                            >horizons, and CLEAR skies to the south, west and overhead. It was
                            >breezy from time to time, but the skies held clear. In fact by 9PM it
                            >was totally clear all the way around. I got to enjoy it all by
                            >myself....
                            >

                            >Mark
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Steve Long
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 12 2:27 PM
                              "Teresa T. Young" wrote:

                              > All,
                              >
                              > I was too tired to go out last night, but am going to try to get
                              > there tonight. Anyone else coming?
                              >
                              > Teri

                              Teri, I wanted to go tonight, but something else came up. Hope you get
                              some takers and have a good night's observing!

                              Steve