Re: [delmarvastargazers] Tuckahoe Monday night

  • S. Kent Blackwell
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
      Message
      Did I hear you right, Doug? Did you see Stephan's (pronounced STEPH AWNS) with the Genesis?

      Kent Blackwell
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
        Message
        No, I was being sarcastic about the Quintet (pronounced Kwin Tet) tee hee. The Genesis performs exceptionally well on big bright objects like the Double Cluster, Pleiades etc. Double stars and some globular clusters are just astonishing with razor sharp optics. It's just that it's a big shift in gears going from a Celestron C8 to a 4-inch refractor. At first when I showed up to the star party with the Genesis I was wishing I had brought the C8 because the objects I was used to seeing through the C8 were considerably dimmer in the Genesis. But once I got ahold of the open clusters in Cassiopeia, Cepheus, Gemini and Auriga I was blown away by what I saw. The Genesis really showed its muscles. My neighbor at the star party, Keith (I'm bad with names so I hope I got that right!!!! Also, I remember what scope he had but not his name!!!!), who had the 5-inch TMB refractor showed what even a 1-inch increase in light gathering ability can be. We saw a stellar core in M32 and the Andromeda Galaxy showed off its dust lanes. What an amazing sight that was. That is a sight I won't soon forget. So no, I didn't see the Quintet (not even in my C8) but don't be surprised if I give it a shot! I have good eyes but I doubt I will see it. So I will stick to double stars and big bright objects.

        Douglas A. Norton
        Telecom/Network Technician
        Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles
        voice 302.744.2605 / fax 302.739.2140
        email Douglas.Norton@...

        Did I hear you right, Doug? Did you see Stephan's (pronounced STEPH AWNS) with the Genesis?

        Kent Blackwell

        Monday night was fantastic.  I wound up staying until 2:30.  Hope to have some company next time ;)

        -Chris

      • Paul Gray
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
          Doug,

          Did we not once glimpse the quintet through your C8 at Tuckahoe? I
          recall we one saw it but could only say it was there. Not able to
          tell them apart or see all of them.

          Paul
          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Norton Douglas (MTRV)"
          <douglas.norton@s...> wrote:
          > No, I was being sarcastic about the Quintet (pronounced Kwin Tet)
          tee
          > hee. The Genesis performs exceptionally well on big bright objects
          like
          > the Double Cluster, Pleiades etc. Double stars and some globular
          > clusters are just astonishing with razor sharp optics. It's just
          that
          > it's a big shift in gears going from a Celestron C8 to a 4-inch
          > refractor. At first when I showed up to the star party with the
          Genesis
          > I was wishing I had brought the C8 because the objects I was used to
          > seeing through the C8 were considerably dimmer in the Genesis. But
          once
          > I got ahold of the open clusters in Cassiopeia, Cepheus, Gemini and
          > Auriga I was blown away by what I saw. The Genesis really showed its
          > muscles. My neighbor at the star party, Keith (I'm bad with names
          so I
          > hope I got that right!!!! Also, I remember what scope he had but
          not his
          > name!!!!), who had the 5-inch TMB refractor showed what even a 1-
          inch
          > increase in light gathering ability can be. We saw a stellar core
          in M32
          > and the Andromeda Galaxy showed off its dust lanes. What an amazing
          > sight that was. That is a sight I won't soon forget. So no, I
          didn't see
          > the Quintet (not even in my C8) but don't be surprised if I give it
          > shot! I have good eyes but I doubt I will see it. So I will stick to
          > double stars and big bright objects.
          >

          > Douglas A. Norton
          > Telecom/Network Technician
          > Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles
          > voice 302.744.2605 / fax 302.739.2140
          > email Douglas.Norton@s...

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
          05

          082806:HM/A=1784493/R=0/id=noscript/SIG=11q7p9e7k/*http://webevents.ya
          ho
          > o.com/universal/intolerablecruelty/>
          >
          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
          M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egrou
          > pmail/S=:HM/A=1784493/rand=311388485>

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • Norton Douglas (MTRV)
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
            Message
            I remember we saw the hint of something but like you said not the ability to split them. I hate to be technical but if I can't see all of an object like you're supposed to I don't even count that as a confirmed sighting. You know what I mean? I thought it was your scope or Chris Mazzola's scope that I saw four of the five but not all of them. Of course we have to take into consideration the skies on those nights as well. I think that when I get out with the C8 again I will give it another shot and report what I see. On another subject... In Leo there is that favorite group of four galaxies that I like so much, NGC 3190, NGC 3193, NGC 3187 and NGC 3185. Remember those bad boys? Even as bright as they are they are still a bit tough for my scope. I mean with our trianed eyes we see them but they are still tough. So Stephan's Quintet would be quite the challenge! What do you remember of the Quintet in your Discovery?

            <douglas.norton@s...> wrote:
            > No, I was being sarcastic
            about the Quintet (pronounced Kwin Tet)
            tee
            > hee. The Genesis
            performs exceptionally well on big bright objects
            like
            > the Double
            Cluster, Pleiades etc. Double stars and some globular
            > clusters are just
            astonishing with razor sharp optics. It's just
            that
            > it's a big shift
            in gears going from a Celestron C8 to a 4-inch
            > refractor. At first when
            I showed up to the star party with the
            Genesis
            > I was wishing I had
            brought the C8 because the objects I was used to
            > seeing through the C8
            were considerably dimmer in the Genesis. But
            once
            > I got ahold of the
            open clusters in Cassiopeia, Cepheus, Gemini and
            > Auriga I was blown away
            by what I saw. The Genesis really showed its
            > muscles. My neighbor at the
            star party, Keith (I'm bad with names
            so I
            > hope I got that right!!!!
            Also, I remember what scope he had but
            not his
            > name!!!!), who had
            the 5-inch TMB refractor showed what even a 1-
            inch
            > increase in light
            gathering ability can be. We saw a stellar core
            in M32
            > and the
            Andromeda Galaxy showed off its dust lanes. What an amazing
            > sight that
            was. That is a sight I won't soon forget. So no, I
            didn't see
            > the
            Quintet (not even in my C8) but don't be surprised if I give it

            shot! I have good eyes but I doubt I will see it. So I will stick to

            double stars and big bright objects.

            > Douglas A. Norton
            > Telecom/Network Technician
            > Delaware
            Division of Motor Vehicles
            > voice 302.744.2605 / fax 302.739.2140

            email Douglas.Norton@s...

            Genesis?

            > Kent Blackwell

            Once I get my Super Polaris upgrades done, you will
            be
            > seeing a lot
            more of the Genesis. It performed better than I ever
            gave
            > it credit
            for. Once you get it in your head that it is designed for
            > totally
            different class of objects. No Stephan's Quintet! It really
            > knocked my
            socks off. Glad to hear you had a good night. See you out

            there...

            Douglas A. Norton
            >       Telecom/Network
            Technician
            >       Delaware Division of Motor
            Vehicles
            >       voice 302.744.2605 / fax
            302.739.2140

            Message-----

            from this group, send an email to:

            >       Your use
            of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

            href="http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?">http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?

            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
              Message
              You scared me, Doug Norton, when mentioning Stephan's Quintet. Jeez, I actually fell for believing you saw it with the Genesis! The smallest aperture I've seen it is a 6". And oh my goodness, what a pure sex telescope that was. I was visiting the Leander McCormick Observatory in Charlottesville, VA in 1975 when a fellow showed up with a 6" f/15 Alvin Clark. When we took it to Fan Mountain and he showed me Stephan's. It was my first introduction to the lovely cluster of galaxies. To find it, first look at the bright galaxy N7331 in Pegasus, then move 1/2-degree SW. N7331 is easy, I've seen it in a 4". Now, can you see any of N7331 satellite galaxies? Three are 4 on the east side, and 2 very difficult fuzzies on the west side. If you can see these you'll have a great chance for Stephan's. N7331 has a special place in my heart. More years ago than I care to remember, when the only star atlas available for amateur astronomers was Antonin Becvar's beautiful colorful "Atlas Coeli", N7331 was the only galaxy plotted in the region. This kid (me) wrote to God (Walter Scott Houston) telling him I saw fuzzies around N7331. Imagine my delight when I got a postcard from him congratulating me for seeing those with a 6" reflector. He ran out of room on the card, so finished by writing around the border. I still have that card.

              Are you bored yet?

              Kent Blackwell

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
                Message
                I'm never bored. People need to start writing more of their stories to this group! Tuckahoe skies are notoriously thick with moisture and the transparent galaxy nights are rare. But I will give it the honest try the next time we have one of those nights. And if I see anything at all I will report it. I also am in love with NGC 7331. I have yet to see the fuzzies around it but I know where they are. That will also be another target for me to shoot for.

                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
                  I saw it, and recall nearly textbook diffraction patterns.

                  Kent Blackwell

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Message
                    I think you might have luck with the satellite galaxy N7335. Don't let the published 14.4 magnitude scare you. It has a high surface brightness.

                    Kent

[...]

                  • Bob Bunge
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
                      I have seen reports of the Stephan galaxies being visible in a 4-inch
                      from high altitude, very dark skies. The observer is extremely skilled
                      (Jay Freeman), so I believe it. Of course he was seeing all five
                      galaxies as a single object. Seeing all five galaxies with a 4-inch
                      would be a real prize :-)

                      Kent, did you ever use the 6-inch f/15 Clark in the "Dog house" roll-off
                      observatory at McCormick? I had somewhat regular access to that
                      telescope in the early 1980's. It was pure joy to observe with. My
                      first good look at Mars was with that scope in 1984.

                      Bob

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
                        I have to correct myself. That Clark I saw Stephan's Quintet was not a 6",
                        IT WAS A 4"!! So, I have seen it in a 4" from Fan Mountain, outside
                        Charlottesville, VA. The fellow who had it was Doug Wereb? Did you ever know
                        Doug? He was a bit eccentric (!), but my goodness..he was then who Brian
                        Skiff is today. And I thought I was "experienced" until I met Doug. He
                        sighted along the mahogany Clark tube with no finder and went right to
                        N7331, the Stephan's.

                        To answer your question I never observed with the 6" Clark in the dog house,
                        though I'm usually in the dog house for one reason or another.

                        Kent

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
                          Yep, I know Doug Wereb (still exchange email with him from time to
                          time)! Spent sometime myself with that 4-inch clark. Also, a very fine
                          telescope. Fan Mountain was quite dark during those days. I haven't
                          been up there in a long time. Doug taught me how to star hop, sans 1980.

                          Bob

                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
                            Send me Doug's email address (privately) if you would.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
                              Doug et al,

                              Yes the quintet is easy in my 12.5". We used to regular split them
                              apart at tuckahoe with it. Also those other satilites of NGC7331 are
                              great.

                              As for judding the nights sky you have to use the same standard night
                              to night athte same altitude to really compare one night ot another.
                              That is why i use the section from the observers handbook with stars
                              around the pole star. Its always up and always the same height for
                              your latitude.

                              Ona good night here i can see +6.1 steady and the really good nights
                              i glimpse the +6.4 star on and off.

                              Most of thses nights will allow you tosee M33 as a naked eye object.
                              Its size is truly huge even to the naked eye but many you rteally got
                              ot get 12 inches or more of aperture and put the power to it! I went
                              at it with my 12.5" scope at 176 x and just followedthe arms out and
                              all the little HII regions in them! Its amazing.

                              Clear skies
                              Paul Gray
                            • S. Kent Blackwell
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 1, 2003
                                I can't use the Pole stars because Norfolk, Chesapeake and Virginia Beach
                                are all to the north of my observing site. M33 works for me at this time of
                                the year, and it climbs near the zenith so horizontal lights aren't an
                                issue.

                                Kent Blackwell