Occulting Bar

  • kentblackwell
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2003
      I made a occulting disc using black electrical tape at the focal
      point of one of my eyepieces in order to view Deimos last night. I
      just had to tell members what I saw. This is just amazing. Since I
      was viewing in bright city lights I was unable to grab Deimos. But
      what is so amazing is I could still make out the polar cap and even
      surface features of Mars THROUGH the electrical tape. Yep, Mars was
      buried behind the occulting tape and still showed detail. My goodness!

      Next time the tape will be doubled or tripled up or I'll use
      aluminmun tape.

      Kent Blackwell
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
        you may also want to try photographer's tape - light tight stuff.

        do you suppose electricity can seep thru that electrical tape the same way
        mars did?

        information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
        in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
        by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
        explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
        this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
        or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
        a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
        purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

        Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean