In the Backyard

  • Michael Stephano
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2003
      Set up my 8" SCT last night for a break in the clouds. Turned out to
      hold for most of the evening. It has been more than 3 weeks since I
      set up last. What a differnce that time makes. Nothing is where I
      left it. LOL... M8 and 20 very distinct. Even though there was some
      Moon Glow left I was able to see quite a bit of detail and resolve
      some of the components of these objects. M13,5,12 also able to see
      much detail. I picked up a 16mm Nagler a while ago. I really like
      it. I spent an hour trying to draw detail to paper of M13. I am a
      terrible artist but was surprised with the result when I later
      compared the drawing to photos. I was going to set up the camera (a
      converted webcam)but I did not want to take a chance of clouding up
      while I was fooling around.

      I was also able to resolve Epsilon Lyre I and 2 with a 6mm plossl
      (Thanks too Doug, a regular target and test of viewing conditions)

      I am sorry I did not try to photograph Mars last night. It is
      perhaps the best and sharpest view I have had to date. I could with
      averted vision make out the South Polar Cap, Mare
      Cimmerium,Electris. I used the lense from my Barlow and screwed that
      to the front of the diagonal. Then I used my 16mm Nagler with a
      couple of different filters. I am not sure how I feel about the
      colored filters that I have. Blue seemed to bring out some of the
      detail that I observed last night. I also used a moon filter which
      gave me really good results.

      Mike
      N-5/ST-80
      N-8i