July Newsletter

  • Keith C. Lohmeyer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2003
      Hi all,
      The e version of the July newsletter is now on our web page.
      http://www.delmarvastargazers.org/

      Keith Lohmeyer
      kcl@...
    • PJ
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 20, 2006
        Is there a club member who would like to send in a blurb about
        themself for the 'member's page' section of the next issue? nothing
        too long - 2-3 paragraphs...

        An attached picture would also be nice to place a face with the name.

        This would be needed by Thursday.....

        Send to pjr127@...

        Thanks,
        Pj
      • Frank Sheldon
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 20, 2006
          Paul,
          Which Thursday? The 22nd? I could make the 29th
          FS

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "PJ" <pjr127@...> wrote:

          > Is there a club member who would like to send in a blurb about
          > themself for the 'member's page' section of the next issue? nothing
          > too long - 2-3 paragraphs...
          >
          > An attached picture would also be nice to place a face with the name.
          >
          > This would be needed by Thursday.....
          >
          > Send to pjr127@...
          >

          > Thanks,
          > Pj

        • PJ Riley
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 20, 2006
            Sorry Frank,
            It's this Friday, the newsletter goes out this coming
            Sunday (keeping with the 9 day lead time for the
            printing and 'normal' meeting schedule)...

            Pj

            --- Frank Sheldon <f.a.sheldon@...> wrote:

            > Paul,
            > Which Thursday? The 22nd? I could make the 29th
            > FS
            >
            > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "PJ"
            > <pjr127@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Is there a club member who would like to send in a
            > blurb about
            > > themself for the 'member's page' section of the
            > next issue? nothing
            > > too long - 2-3 paragraphs...
            > >
            > > An attached picture would also be nice to place a
            > face with the name.
            > >
            > > This would be needed by Thursday.....
            > >
            > > Send to pjr127@...
            > >

            > > Thanks,
            > > Pj

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • PJ
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 25, 2007
              The July newsletter is available online to members at:

              http://www.delmarvastargazers.org/newsletter/jul07/jul2007news.pdf

              Comments:

              pjr127@...
            • Paul Riley
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
                The July issue of the Delmarva Stargazers 'Star Gazer News' is available for download.

                Members can download here:

                Non-members can also follow the above link to see what the Gazers are all about!

                Comments?

                Pj

              • Michael Lecuyer
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
                  I was looking at the sun this morning with my PST to see if any large
                  prominences were active since nothing else seems to be happening. To my
                  surprise there were two sunspots. Surprising since sunspots are not
                  usually obvious in Ha views.

                  After setting up a white light scope with a filter it turned out there
                  were two groups of sunspots. Whenever I had the chance I looked through
                  them both throughout the day. Somewhere between 1PM and 2:30PM the PST
                  showed a very bright active region bridging the two groups. By 4PM the
                  bridge had vanished but a bright patch between the two groups remains.

                  Checking SpaceWeather.com this pair was said to be "crackling with
                  B-class solar flares." The picture today on SW pretty much shows what I
                  saw during the sun's performance (although SW shows vastly more detail)
                  than the 40mm PST.

                  Another lucky observation. Maybe tomorrow the action will continue.
                • Jerry Truitt
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
                    Thanks Mike, good catch. This may be the real start of the next solar
                    sun spot cycle. The Sun has been very quiet for all those who ran out
                    and purchased a PST for the last few years.

                    By the way we do show the Sun's current EIT (Extreme ultraviolet Imaging
                    Telescope) image on our home page.

                    Jerry

                    --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lecuyer <mjl@...>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
                      the position of this sunspot leads me to believe it is a member of the last cycle...unless the image is inverted.

                      i believe the spots from the new cycle should be originating in the northern hemisphere.

                      i will verify this assumption and reply to the group.

                      Don...

                      wrote:

                      > I was looking at the sun this morning with my PST to see if any large
                      > prominences were active since nothing else seems to be happening. To
                      my
                      > surprise there were two sunspots. Surprising since sunspots are not
                      > usually obvious in Ha views.
                      >
                      > After setting up a white light scope with a filter it turned out there
                      > were two groups of sunspots. Whenever I had the chance I looked
                      through
                      > them both throughout the day. Somewhere between 1PM and 2:30PM the PST
                      > showed a very bright active region bridging the two groups. By 4PM the
                      > bridge had vanished but a bright patch between the two groups remains.
                      >
                      > Checking SpaceWeather. com this pair was said to be "crackling with
                      > B-class solar flares." The picture today on SW pretty much shows what
                      > saw during the sun's performance (although SW shows vastly more
                      detail)
                      > than the 40mm PST.
                      >
                      > Another lucky observation. Maybe tomorrow the action will continue.

                    • Patrick Robinson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 10, 2009
                        I can download the newsletter here on out. thanks for sending it to me in the mail.

                                                                                           patrick robinson
                                                                                           1 mystic dr
                                                                                            bear de 19701