Reducing the glare of Mars

  • Teresa Young
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30 4:28 PM
      All,

      Just got back from a great week at the Laurel Highlands Star Cruise.
      We had 4 out of 6 good nights! I saw some messages about the reducing
      the glare of Mars in order to see some of its features better and
      thought I would provide the following information to see if it would
      help.

      I was setup next to a gentleman named Tony Donnangelo. Tony has a 14
      inch Dob. When we looked at Mars, he brought out an apodising
      (anti-diffraction) screen. It really made a tremendous difference! You
      could see a lot more of the features of the surface of Mars with the
      screen. From what I've read, the screens are very easy to make. Bill
      Cheng was also there and told me that you could find the formula for the
      size of these screens in 'The Planet Observer's Handbook' (pg. 51 of my
      version).

      The next night, Dallas ? (sorry don't remember the last night) brought
      over his polarizing filter. With the polarizing filter and the
      apodising screen you could see even more features on Mars. It really was
      remarkable. I am going to make an apodising screen for my scope and
      seriously think about buying a polarizing filter.

      Best,

      Teri Young