Hi Folks

  • Michael Stephano
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
      I just joined this group. My name is Mike and I am down on the
      Eastern Shore of VA. Onancock. I have been checking out your site
      for events and hope to get to a few soon. Anyone down here in my
      neck of the woods?
      Mike
      N-5
      N-8i
      Orion 80mm short tube.
    • William Collins
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
        Message
        Hi Mike,

        I'm another "distant" member of the DelMarVa Stargazers. I live near Annapolis.

        Your mention of an Orion 80mm Short Tube got my curiosity up. I am currently thinking of buying some sort of short focal length refractor to get started into Video Astronomy. I am not an expert at this at all, but have a friend who is a "pioneer" in the field. He has a Stellcam EX and is always showing wonderful images he is capturing with the camera through his small refractor.

        I have a 12" Meade Dobsonian that I love for visual observing, but it is a heavy item to carry around.

        Anyway, I'm trying to decide between getting an f/8 - 6" scope (which will still be nice for visual) and using a focal reducer for imaging. Or buying the Orion ST120 at f/5 which will be easy to carry around for anytime viewing as well as imaging.

        Any opinions will be appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Bill Collins

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
          Hi Bill,
          I have the 80 exclusivly for my ccd. I use a ToUcam Pro and some
          software for stacking. I am new at this as well. The 80 is set up to
          ride on the N-5 fork with a set of "Rays Brackets". I have only a
          few images so far. I have another ToUcam that I will do the surgery
          too as soon as I have the nerve. Right now I can do 15 sec.
          exposures with the stock cam. The rest is done in K3ccd tools and
          photoshop. I am looking forward to riding up to the darksite
          sometime and hopefully meet a few members and check out the
          equipment. I have been kind of stumbling through this on my own with
          the help of another list which I am a member. I have another 80
          available if you are interested. It is a no name short tube. Nice
          optics. Looks like a celestron/orion except the finder is center
          instead of offset. 80x400 made in china.

          Mike

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "William Collins"
          <bill24md@e...> wrote:
          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > I'm another "distant" member of the DelMarVa Stargazers. I live
          near
          > Annapolis.
          >
          > Your mention of an Orion 80mm Short Tube got my curiosity up. I am
          > currently thinking of buying some sort of short focal length
          refractor
          > to get started into Video Astronomy. I am not an expert at this at
          all,
          > but have a friend who is a "pioneer" in the field. He has a
          Stellcam EX
          > and is always showing wonderful images he is capturing with the
          camera
          > through his small refractor.
          >
          > I have a 12" Meade Dobsonian that I love for visual observing, but
          it is
          > a heavy item to carry around.
          >
          > Anyway, I'm trying to decide between getting an f/8 - 6" scope
          (which
          > will still be nice for visual) and using a focal reducer for
          imaging. Or
          > buying the Orion ST120 at f/5 which will be easy to carry around
          for
          > anytime viewing as well as imaging.
          >
          > Any opinions will be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Bill Collins

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
          705

          082806:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default
          ?mq

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
            bill & all: my rule of thumb is that "aperture rules". my advice is to
            buy the largest scope you can handle and use it - if the clouds ever decide
            to go away. could this be the beginning of the next ice age?

            information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
            in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender
            by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
            explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
            this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
            or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute
            a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
            purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

            Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean

          • marc feuerberg
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
              Bill - I've got a 5 inch achromat F6.4 for sale if
              your interested. I can be reached at
              marcfberg(at)yahoo.com.
              thanks,
              marc