Fw: [delmarvastargazers] Moon in M44

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 7:24 PM

      From: Doug
      Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 1:08 AM
      Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] Moon in M44

      Hello Joe:

      May I ask a question? I can see how it might be that something
      like the moon occulting Aldebaran might be something observable, but...

      How can one possibly spot a deep sky object anywhere in the vicinity
      of the moon's over-whelming brightness?

      I have my scope and binocs out, but I just don't think that poor old
      M44 will stand a chance!

      Thanks, and please excuse my ignorance on this.

      Doug

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5 8:16 AM
        Doug,

        Sorry that I got to your note late...

        As M44 is a loose open cluster, the occultations of member stars were a treat to observe.  Because the moon was so bright, I placed the terminator just outside the field of my eyepiece leaving only the dark limb in view.  I found that about 50X worked well.

        Best,

        Joe