August 15th...

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7 10:06 AM
      Yes...that is one week from tomorrow...we have an engagement, ie, star gazing session, scheduled for Mt Harmon Plantation in Earleville, MD.

      We should plan to arrive around 6:30-7:00pm...there will be light refreshments provided.

      Attached is some info about Mt Harmon.

      Please put this one on your schedule...we should have a great night.

      The rain date, ie, cloudy skies, is Saturday, August 16.

      See you there.

      Don...

      Mount Harmon

      This page has some issues
      Mount Harmon
      Mt. Harmon Earleville HABS1.jpg
      Mount Harmon is located in Maryland
      Mount Harmon
      Location600 Grove Neck Road, Earleville, Maryland
      Coordinates39°23′2″N 75°56′29″W
      Built1788
      ArchitectUnknown
      Architectural styleGeorgian
      Governing bodyPrivate
      NRHP Reference #74000945[1]
      Added to NRHPJune 05, 1974

      Mount Harmon is an historic home, located at EarlevilleCecil CountyMaryland, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974,[1] and is currently open to the public.

      StyleEdit

      Mount Harmon is an 18th-century brick mansion built by Sidney George around 1788. It features a central door with a scrolled pediment and pineapple keystone supported by Ionic pilasters.[2] In the late 1920s a frame wing was built on the south gable.

      HistoryEdit

      The Mount Harmon Plantation estate and nature preserve covers some 200-acre (0.81 km2) adjacent to the Chesapeake Bay, on a peninsula by the north shore of the Sassafras River. The plantation was created in 1651 as a land grant from Lord Baltimore to Godfrey Harmon.

      From 1760 to 1810 Mount Harmon flourished as a tobacco plantation owned by the Louttit and George families. Mount Harmon eventually fell out of family hands and into disrepair.

      In 1963, Marguerite duPont de Villiers Boden, a direct descendant of the Louttits and Georges, rescued the plantation, restoring the Colonial Kitchen and Manor House. Mrs. Boden filled the house with 18th-century antiques, and restored the Tobacco Prize House as a reminder of the plantation’s days as a tobacco shipping center for the Sassafras River area. After Mrs. Boden’s death, her daughter Kip Kelso Boden Crist ensured the plantation’s future by forming Friends of Mount Harmon, Inc.

      Sent from my iPad
    • Calixto Estrada

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9 3:57 PM
          Cal, that is great...I want all Star Gazers to make the event...it has been so long since we were together.

          I might even try to get there a bit early and have a good cigar!

          Don...

          Sent from my iPad

          On Aug 9, 2014, at 4:20 PM, "Calixto Estrada ce6349@... [delmarvastargazers]" <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

          From 1760 to 1810 Mount Harmon flourished as a tobacco plantation owned by the Louttit and George families. Mount Harmon eventually fell out of family hands and into disrepair.