Blackbird June 6th, 2014...

  • Douglas Norton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2014
      Blackbird June 6th, 2014

      I arrived at Blackbird long before the sun set to enjoy the cool weather. Skies were clear and the weather showed it would be clear all night. I was in it for the long haul as I had planned to stay until the moon set at 2:00am. I took in nice long views of the moon, Mars and Saturn again while waiting for it to get dark. The skies were much steadier than the night before. Detail in all was amazing. I started hunting down double stars and I found quite a few nice ones. In between i would go and look at some old favorites as well as some of the brighter deep sky objects.

      Once the moon set I pretty much stuck with old favorites as the sky was so steady I could see fields of stars underneath the scorpion's tail and far below Sagittarius. The stunner for the evening was M22. I wish I could describe it. The only way I can explain it is it looked like platinum coated diamonds. It was on fire. The brighter stars in the cluster just blazed with an intensity I've never seen before. Blackbird really delivered the great skies last night. One for the record books.

      From the logbooks...

      STT 298A - A very tight pair at 1.2". Only 1 magnitude difference between the two components. Both decidedly orange to red. Easily split with 14mm UWA and 8.8mm really opened the pair up. At low power, another star in the field. Best view in 8.8mm UWA.

      STT 288A - Extremely tight pair at 1" and easily split with 8.8mm UWA! This is such a great night. Very steady and transparent. Both components are nearly equal in magnitude. The pair seems ivory to orange. A very nice pair!!

      STT 279A - A perfect micro Albireo! A tight 2.2" pair with a decent difference in magnitude, 6.6 and 9.1. Primary is yellow with secondary a steel blue! Very pretty in 14mm UWA and perfect in 8.8mm UWA. My favorite pair of the night!

      STF1858A - A fairly tight pair at 3" and magnitudes of 7.6 and 9. A very nice pair because of the magnitude difference and the colors are white with the secondary maybe leaning to blue. Split with 40mm and 24.5mm. The 14mm UWA really opened them up and made them pleasing to the eye.

      STF1879A - Very tight pair with 1.7" separation. Slight difference in magnitudes. Makes for an easy split with 14mm UWA and 8.8mm UWA really shows the stuff. Two perfect disks with white color for both.

      SHJ 191A - Two very bright, wide brilliant white stars easily split with 40mm SWA. Beautiful star field and these two pop out like headlights. Really nice to see a wide pair, at 40.2" and such a brilliant white. Very nice!!

      Douglas Norton
      IMCA #7432
    • Fred

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2014
          It's a Meade 10-inch LX 200 f/10 OTA all tricked out on an LX5 mount. I preferred the older LX5 mount because of its simplicity and reliability.

          The OTA has a Peterson Engineering focuser, Mirror Lock, Bob's Knobs, Ultra High Transmission Coatings, inside of the tube has been flocked and has a counterweight bar. I've got it collimated to where I can split 1 arc second double stars so it is quite the performer.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Douglas Norton
          IMCA #7432

          On Jun 7, 2014, at 1:59 PM, "Fred fredworld@... [delmarvastargazers]" <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]