Blackbird June 5th, 2014...

  • Douglas Norton
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2014
      Blackbird June 5th, 2014

      I arrived long before the sun set to enjoy the beautiful weather and smoke a cigar. Once I set up the scope I started looking at the moon. It was simply stunning. I then began
      looking for Saturn and Mars. Both planets were stunning. Lots of moons visible around Saturn and Mars had plenty of surface detail with a polar ice cap. Once the sun set I
      started hunting down double stars until the moon set. The scope is as well collimated as my old C8. I was splitting double stars in the 1.6" range.

      Once the moon set I started hunting down some deep sky objects I hadn't logged before. I found NGC 6888 in Cygnus and NGC 6540 in Sagittarius. The Crescent Nebula is faint. I
      used both an OIII filter and a Narrowband filter to help bring out detail. NGC 6540 was easily seen with any eyepiece. I particularly liked the view with the 14mm UWA. Once
      the moon had set the sky was stunning. Inky black skies and lots of good transparency, very steady and was great for globular clusters. I hunted around the sky for the usual
      suspects I look for in Summer skies. M8, M22, Checkmark, Lagoon, Trifid, Ring, Wild Duck and many others. It was a great evening and I ended up leaving around 3:30 am.

      STT 289 - A tiny pair with a bright primary. Secondary is much fainter. Seen with 40mm and 32mm but 24mm and 14mm UWA really show it well. Primary is white and secondary is too dim for color.

      STF 1889 - Wide pair with brighter primary a decidedly ivory to yellow color. Secondary fainter and shows a tint toward red. Easily split with 40mm, 32mm and 24mm. A beautiful pair in the middle of a few bright stars surrounding.

      STF 1834 - Extremely tight, nearly equal mag pair. Separation of 1.6". 14mm and 8.8mm split easily. Orange colors to them. Beautiful pair.

      STT 296 - Wow! A beautiful tight pair of stars! Easily split with 14mm. Slightly ivory to yellow colors to both stars. Separation of 1.9".

      STF 1884 - A 2.1" double split with 40mm and 32mm and 24mm. 14mm UWA really opened the pair up. Primary slightly brighter than secondary. Ivory color to both components.

      NGC 6888 - Crescent nebula. With OIII filter and 40mm the center most section visible as a faint wisp. Will try later in the evening when moon goes down completely for a second try. Second try more successful. With narrowband filter the central portions of the nebula and slight outlying nebula more visible. A nice double star lies within the field.

      STT 401 - Wide pair near NGC 6888. Easily split at all powers, best in 40mm. Secondary decidedly red. A beautiful pair.

      Collinder 331 - Tiny open cluster in Ophiuchus. Triangular shape with approx 25 members of varying magnitudes. Fairly obvious. Best with 40mm and 32mm eyepieces. 24mm shows more of the individual members.

      NGC 6540 - Globular cluster in Sagittarius. A fairly faint ball of stars which appears slightly elongated east to west. Visible in 40mm, 32mm with 24mm and 14mm really isolating the ball of stars. A real treat.

      Douglas Norton
      IMCA #7432
    • Steven Long
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2014

        On Jun 6, 2014, at 4:45 PM, Douglas Norton dnorton618@... [delmarvastargazers] wrote:

        Blackbird June 5th, 2014

        Nice report.  Makes me wish my eyes (and back) were good enough for stargazing.  You split 1.6" doubles with your new scope -- what was your tightest split with your old C8?

        Are you still using any of the Pentaxes, or did you trade them on other eyepieces? I couldn't tell from your descriptions.

        Steve

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2014
            On my way now. Be there in an hour. I brought my cigar with me.

            Sent from my iPhone

            Douglas Norton
            IMCA #7432

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 7, 2014
                Steve, my old C8 would split .7 to .9 arc second doubles. I have a feeling that since I was able to easily split a 1 arc second double star last night, the 10-inch should be able to match that C8 and maybe even best it.

                I let the Pentaxes go to get the Meade Series 4000 UWA and SWA eyepieces from the mid 90's. I got them in a set and were all new in box. They include the UWA 14mm, 8.8mm and SWA 40mm, 32mm, 24.5mm, 18mm and 13.8mm. I didn't get the 6.7 or 4.7 UWA eyepieces because they are too powerful for my scope. I used to own both of those back when I had my Meade 8-inch Schmidt-Newtonian in 1989 because its focal length was only 813mm at f/4.

                In my opinion the Meade eyepieces are better than any of the Tele Vue eyepieces I've used over all these years and so I sold all my Tele Vue eyepieces as well. As the years went on I was less and less happy with the Tele Vue eyepieces so I'm all Meade now. The only standout TV eyepieces were the 11mm Nagler Type 1 and the 24mm Panoptic. I'm sure I'll get blasted for that opinion but that's they way I see it

                Sent from my iPad

                Douglas A. Norton
                IMCA #7432