M82 Supernova

  • Douglas Norton
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 24, 2014
      Easily visible with low power!!! So clear out here!!

      Sent from my iPhone

      Douglas Norton
      www.douglasnorton.com
      IMCA #7432
      www.imca.cc
    • Michael Lecuyer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 24, 2014
        On 1/24/2014 19:10 PM, Douglas Norton wrote:
        > Easily visible with low power!!! So clear out here!!
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone

        SN 2014J an easy target - quite bright and hopefully getting brighter.
        Bit cold out there tonight but my scope was already at temperature since
        it stays in an unheated building. My north view starts at 44 degrees
        (barn) and thin clouds were passing by from time to time.

        The link will show the AAVSO chart and local star magnitudes. Doug's
        determination of magnitude is quite good.
        http://www.aavso.org/lcg/plot?auid=000-BLG-310&starname=PSN+J09554214

        I've spent some time looking at M82 and it's lumpiness at high power so
        the supernova was obvious. I too hope more members get out to see it.

        Sent from my gOiter
      • Douglas Norton
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 24, 2014
          Thanks for the observation Michael. Now I know I'm not crazy and actually saw it. Great write up!

          Sent from my iPad

          Douglas A. Norton
          www.douglasnorton.com
          IMCA #7432
          www.imca.cc

          > On Jan 24, 2014, at 11:52 PM, "Michael Lecuyer" <mjl@...> wrote:
          >
          >> On 1/24/2014 19:10 PM, Douglas Norton wrote:
          >> Easily visible with low power!!! So clear out here!!
          >>
          >> Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > SN 2014J an easy target - quite bright and hopefully getting brighter.
          > Bit cold out there tonight but my scope was already at temperature since
          > it stays in an unheated building. My north view starts at 44 degrees
          > (barn) and thin clouds were passing by from time to time.
          >
          > The link will show the AAVSO chart and local star magnitudes. Doug's
          > determination of magnitude is quite good.
          > http://www.aavso.org/lcg/plot?auid=000-BLG-310&starname=PSN+J09554214
          >
          > I've spent some time looking at M82 and it's lumpiness at high power so
          > the supernova was obvious. I too hope more members get out to see it.
          >
          > Sent from my gOiter
          >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Yahoo Groups Links

        • Paul Riley
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 26, 2014
            If'n your sitting there looking for something to read, here you go....

            The Feb. issue of Star Gazer News is available for download.

            Members can download here:

            Non members can also download to see what the Star Gazers are all about.

            Comments?

            Pj

          • ragoodwin08
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 27, 2014
            • 1 Attachment
            • 868 KB
            I've been photographing since the 23 this is from the 26th
            Ryan Goodwin

            Message 6 of 10 , Jan 28, 2014
              Excellent!  Keep up the great photography.

              Don...

              Sent from my iPad

              On Jan 27, 2014, at 10:09 PM, ragoodwin08@... wrote:

              I've been photographing since the 23 this is from the 26th
              Ryan Goodwin

              > On Jan 24, 2014, at 11:51 PM, Michael Lecuyer <mjl@...> wrote:
              >
              >> On 1/24/2014 19:10 PM, Douglas Norton wrote:
              >> Easily visible with low power!!! So clear out here!!
              >>
              >> Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > SN 2014J an easy target - quite bright and hopefully getting brighter.
              > Bit cold out there tonight but my scope was already at temperature since
              > it stays in an unheated building. My north view starts at 44 degrees
              > (barn) and thin clouds were passing by from time to time.
              >
              > The link will show the AAVSO chart and local star magnitudes. Doug's
              > determination of magnitude is quite good.
              > http://www.aavso.org/lcg/plot?auid=000-BLG-310&starname=PSN+J09554214
              >
              > I've spent some time looking at M82 and it's lumpiness at high power so
              > the supernova was obvious. I too hope more members get out to see it.
              >
              > Sent from my gOiter
              >

              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > Yahoo Groups Links

            • Douglas Norton
              Message 7 of 10 , Jan 28, 2014
                Awesome! Looks just like what I saw through the eyepiece. Minus color of course. The supernova rests right at one end of the 4-star lazy arc. Very well done!

                Sent from my iPhone

                Douglas Norton
                IMCA #7432

              • slswank@ymail.com
                Message 8 of 10 , Jan 28, 2014

                  That's an amazing picture! How long did it take to take those images?

                • ragoodwin08
                  Message 9 of 10 , Jan 28, 2014
                    That picture was 13 individual 30 second pictures taken it I at 3200 then stacked

                    Ryan Goodwin