Observations...

  • Douglas Norton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2014
      I was able to get out on New Year's Eve and get observations of two new objects noted in the logbook before the end of the year. I have included all my observations since the end of October. I am excited to get this next year rolling with the 10-inch scope to hunt down more galaxies and planetary nebulas. Hope everyone had a great holiday season.

      NGC 6804 Fairly large PN. Meade Narrowband Filter and power bring out more mottling across semicircular disk. A star resides within the nebulosity. 10/26/2013

      NGC 6535 A faint glow against the background. Irregular shape. Some stars resolvable. 35 Pan and 21mm Pentax show it best. Nestled in a faint triangle of stars. Pretty even though it is faint. No core. Only a more dense center but not brighter. 10/27/2013

      NGC 6539 A ghostly glow against the background. Rather large. Diffuse. No resolvable stars. Best in 35 Pan and 21 Pentax. 10/27/2013

      Palomar 11 Nothing more than a large nebulous glow against the background sky. No resolvable stars. 10/27/2013

      NGC 7479 Galaxy. Faint strip of light. Elongated and brighter central bar. Best in 35 Pan and 21 Pentax. Central area brighter. Seems like a core but not well defined. Faint star resting right on its northern edge. 10/27/2013

      STF 2841 Beautiful wide pair. Primary slightly brighter than secondary. Orange color to primary and secondary is blue. Beautiful pair at all powers. Best in 35 pan. 11/10/2013

      STF 2848 Nearly equal magnitude pair. Easy split. Both appear to be white. Best in 35 Pan. 11/10/2013

      STF 12 35 Piscium; Easy pair to split. Both are white with secondary having a slightly bluish tint. Primary is slightly brighter than secondary. Best view in 35 Panoptic. 11/10/2013

      38 Piscium Wow! A nice tight pair! 35 Pan splits them easily. Primary is slightly brighter than secondary. Higher power only separates them further. Best view at low power with 35 Pan. Beautiful pair! Off white/ivory color. 11/10/2013

      STF 27 42 Piscium; A wide pair with a large difference in magnitude. Yellowish primary. No real color to secondary except appears blue. Best in 35 Pan. Pretty. 11/10/2013

      51 Piscium A wide easy pair. Primary brighter than secondary, not much. Steel blue color to primary. Secondary slight greenish but mostly white. Easy and best in 35 Pan. 21mm Pentax just separates but shows color slightly better. 11/10/2013

      STF 46 55 Piscium; Wow! Nice pair! Primary yellow and secondary blue! Tight pair but easy split in 35 Pan. Such a beautiful double! Primary a bit brighter than secondary. 11/10/2013

      Wolf 28 Van Maanen's Star. 12th magnitude white dwarf. Nothing to really note other than visible in 35 Pan. White dwarf star. 11/10/2013

      NGC 7772 Open cluster in Pegasus. Sparse, irregular shape. 15 or 20 stars. Barely visible because of its faint members. Best in 35 Pan but 14mm UWA really opens up the cluster. 11/10/2013

      NGC 2395 Open cluster in Gemini. Loose irregular shape with 10 or so bright members and many fainter ones. Large. 35 Pan shows best. Shaped like a diamond or kite. 11/10/2013

      Abell 21 Medusa Nebula; Nearly same field as NGC 2395. Using the Meade Narrowband Filter with 40mm Pentax shows large glow by sweeping in RA back and forth. Using 35 Pan, nebulosity became more obvious because of greater contrast. Sweeping back and forth was key. It showed the brightening of the nebulosity with regard to the background. Seems to reside in a large circlet of stars that rode around the perimeter of the 35 Pan. 11/10/2013

      NGC 2537 Bear Paw; Galaxy in Lynx. Small, dense and oval shaped. Core slightly brighter than rest of the galaxy. Magnification didn't help bring out any more detail. Best in 35 Pan. 11/10/2013

      C/2012 S1 (ISON) A fairly bright dense ball. Nucleus is nearly stellar and very bright but almost a pinpoint. Dense outer nucleus fades into rest of coma. Only slight brightening from edge to center. A very long tail that stretches outside widest eyepiece field. Easily seen. Very beautiful. Thin but long. 11/10/2013

      Minkowski 1-7 A bright planetary that has a decidedly green tint. Nearly stellar at low powers. At higher powers the planetary becomes less stellar and more like a star that won't focus. Using the nebular filter made it brighter and stand out more against the background. Best view was with the 14mm UWA eyepiece both with and without filter. 12/31/2013

      IC 405 A very large nebula. Fills several fields of view in the 56mm Plossl. With the nebular filter the nebulosity was a bit easier to discern from the background. Just more contrast. The nebulosity was clearly defined by dropping off to inky black sky at the edges. Best views were with 35mm Pan and 56mm Plossl.  12/31/2013

      Douglas Norton
      IMCA #7432
    • Douglas Norton

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2014
          If'n y'all got something for the next issue of Star Gazer News, please send to:

          DO NOT HIT "REPLY"

          Thanks !
          Pj

        • Lyle & Cherie Jones
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 13, 2014
            I am working on the next set of articles about the scope that I am building. News article needs to be to you by  the 15th?  WE missed you and Doreen  at the meeting and Christmas Party. The meeting room upstairs  was cold!  Everything ok?   See at the next meeting.  Lyle

            Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 1:25 PM
            Subject: [delmarvastargazers] Feb. Newsletter