Comet ISON

  • jlm0rris
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 558 KB
    I took this one minute single image of the comet with a 16" Newtonian early AM a few mornings ago at Spruce Knob, WV.   Tried to stack nine one minute images using the head of the comet but there wasn't enough movement between images to blur out the stars.
  • Paul Riley
    Message 2 of 11 , Oct 14, 2013
      It time to colate stuff for the next issue of Star Gazer news.

      If'n y'all got an article or pics you would like to share , pls send to

      Thanks !

      Pj

    • slswank@ymail.com
      Message 3 of 11 , Nov 23, 2013
        I know that comet ISON will be bright and low in the eastern skies about a hour or two before the sun rises. Do I still a telescope to look at it or will it be visible to the naked eye?
        Message 4 of 11 , Nov 23, 2013
          Comet ISON is very near the sun...it is within the "glare" of sunrise.  It will round the sun on November 28 and will again be visible just before sunrise by Dec 1.

          I would suggest a binocular...wide angle viewing will show the best view.

          See Sky &Telescope or spaceweather.com for finder charts.

          Also find viewing place that is dark with a good east and south horizon.

          Good luck...

          Don...

          Sent from my iPad

          On Nov 23, 2013, at 4:16 PM, <slswank@...> wrote:

          I know that comet ISON will be bright and low in the eastern skies about a hour or two before the sun rises. Do I still a telescope to look at it or will it be visible to the naked eye?

        • Michael Lecuyer
          Message 5 of 11 , Nov 23, 2013
            If anyone did go see the comet at about 6 in the morning they would see
            an amazing grouping of Mercury, Saturn, ISON and Encke all within a
            field of 5 degrees 20 minutes. ISON (lowest) would be 2 degrees above
            the horizon and Mercury (highest) at 6 degrees.

            Mercury (-0.7) outshines Saturn (0.6) by over a magnitude. Encke is at
            5th mag with ISON around 4th.

            It would make a stunning photo.

            Message 6 of 11 , Nov 24, 2013
              Murphy's Law : IF anything can go wrong, it will, at the least opportune time.
              Riley's Rule :  Murphy is an optimist !

              Went this week to start compiling the next issue of Star Gazer news.  Turned on the computer with the software that I use.  NOTHING HAPPENED ! I didn't EVEN get the blue screen.  All it stated was "Disk read error".  I put the drive in another computer, agin same message....bummer....
              I know Don, this WOULDN'T happen to an APPLE computer.  (See Riley's rule above).

              I've used other software to create an issue for this month...similar, but different.

              Members can download here:

              Non-members can also download to see what the StarGazers are all 'bout !

              Comments?

              Message 7 of 11 , Nov 24, 2013
                PJ...Thanks for another great Delmarva Star Gazer News.

                Comets, solar eclipses...don't get much better than that for a single month.

                And Just wait until early Dec when ISON is in the other side of the sun...without a bright moon in the sky.

                We may have to organize a comet watch!

                Don

                Sent from my iPad

                Message 8 of 11 , Nov 24, 2013
                  update on dirt fishing…

                  i am learning my machine…slowly.  that means interpreting the Ferrous/Conductivity readings and to trust what it tells me.

                  i have been concentrating on finding coins since the beaches are too cold for me…and because folks around Smyrna apparently haven't lost many diamond rings.

                  my coins to crap ratio is increasing daily…at first i found more crap than coins.

                  yesterday i found 45 coins and 3 pcs of crap, today it was 19 coins and 4 pcs of crap (the high temp today was 32F and it was WINDY!)

                  total coins as of Nov 4 is 609.

                  the ratio of nickels is also increasing since i have been a bit more lenient with digging items in the nickel range.

                  yep…this is great exercise without the treadmill or stationary bike or running or jogging.

                  Don…

                  On Nov 24, 2013, at 3:14 PM, Paul Riley wrote:

                  Murphy's Law : IF anything can go wrong, it will, at the least opportune time.
                  Riley's Rule :  Murphy is an optimist !

                  Went this week to start compiling the next issue of Star Gazer news.  Turned on the computer with the software that I use.  NOTHING HAPPENED ! I didn't EVEN get the blue screen.  All it stated was "Disk read error".  I put the drive in another computer, agin same message....bummer....
                  I know Don, this WOULDN'T happen to an APPLE computer.  (See Riley's rule above).

                  I've used other software to create an issue for this month...similar, but different.

                  Members can download here:

                  Non-members can also download to see what the StarGazers are all 'bout !

                  Comments?

                  Pj

                • Steve WB3LGC
                  Message 9 of 11 , Nov 25, 2013

                    Two different locations in the newsletter, two different days.  Is one a practice??

                    annual Holiday Party on Decembrr 15th at 1PM.

                    Dec. 14th Holiday Dinner 1PM Smyrna Church

                    steve

                    ,_._,___

                  • truittjs
                    Message 10 of 11 , Nov 27, 2013

                      Our web site has the correct date and time and a link with directions.

                      The correct information is as follows:

                      Delmarva Stargazers' Christmas Party
                      When: Saturday Dec. 14, 2013, 1-5 PM
                      Where:First Presbyterian Church Smyrna, De.
                      Directions
                      All are welcome, membership not required, come ready to eat!

                      Bring a covered dish or dessert but not required.

                      Message 11 of 11 , Dec 1, 2013
                        My Bad !
                        That's what happens when you cut and paste and don't give it to the proofreader.

                        The Day and Date for the holiday party is SATURDAY Dec. 14 1PM at the Church.

                        The website is correct, and now the newsletter online is correct..
                        (maybe I just had the wrong reading glasses on.....)

                        Pj