Suggestion for future meeting discussion

  • stones4ever65
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2013
      I just read a short news story about comet ISOD which is expected to be viewable in Dec 2013 and it gave me the idea that a discussion or presentation on what scope/eyepiece/mount type/size
      would be ideal for comet spotting. I remember manufacturers cashing in by producing scopes with the word "Comet" in their model name when Halley's Comet was approaching and then again for Kahoutek. We could follow up in future months by just switching from Comets to faint fuzzies, then planets etc.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11, 2013
        Leonard...we will have a segment of each meeting devoted to comets until Comet ISOD either dazzles or disappoints us...that will be from Sep thru Feb.

        If you have specific comet subtropics in mind please forward.

        See you at the next meeting.

        Don...

        Sent from my iPad

        On Sep 11, 2013, at 10:30 AM, <stones4ever65@...> wrote:

        I just read a short news story about comet ISOD which is expected to be viewable in Dec 2013 and it gave me the idea that a discussion or presentation on what scope/eyepiece/mount type/size
        would be ideal for comet spotting. I remember manufacturers cashing in by producing scopes with the word "Comet" in their model name when Halley's Comet was approaching and then again for Kahoutek. We could follow up in future months by just switching from Comets to faint fuzzies, then planets etc.

      • jwillinghan
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 11, 2013
          Isn't it Comet ISON? :)

          Sent from my iPad

          On Sep 11, 2013, at 12:06 PM, Don Surles <don.surles@...> wrote:

          Leonard...we will have a segment of each meeting devoted to comets until Comet ISOD either dazzles or disappoints us...that will be from Sep thru Feb.

          If you have specific comet subtropics in mind please forward.

          See you at the next meeting.

          Don...

          Sent from my iPad

          On Sep 11, 2013, at 10:30 AM, <stones4ever65@...> wrote:

          I just read a short news story about comet ISOD which is expected to be viewable in Dec 2013 and it gave me the idea that a discussion or presentation on what scope/eyepiece/mount type/size
          would be ideal for comet spotting. I remember manufacturers cashing in by producing scopes with the word "Comet" in their model name when Halley's Comet was approaching and then again for Kahoutek. We could follow up in future months by just switching from Comets to faint fuzzies, then planets etc.

        • Stephen M. Shearer
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 11, 2013

            Are “you” aware of this?

             “A New Look at the Comets”

            Dr. David Jewitt, Department of Earth and Space Science

            University of California, Los Angeles

            DATE:  Thursday, October 17, 2013

            TIME:  7:30 pm

            LOCATION:  Clayton Hall,UD Newark Campus

            Angeles.

            With the approach of Comet ISON in late 2013, the 2013 Vernon lecture provides a unique opportunity to explore these dynamic objects.

            Sponsored by the Delaware Asteroseismic Research Center
            Mt. Cuba Observatory
            University of Delaware

            Please register at:

            http://darc.physics.udel.edu/wet/vernon/vernon.html