Fall????

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2013
      here is a story about auroras in Alaska at spaceweather.com

      three things caught my attention:

      1) land of midnight sun…so there are no auroras to be seen in Alaska (north of the Arctic Circle) in summer…can't see auroras in daylight & thus no summer star gazing!!!

      2) the "fall" colors…apparently come about the same time as the sun manages to disappear below the horizon….fall colors on Sept 1?

      3) it must be COLD in Alaska already…notice the parkas and gloves...

      regardless…with the coming flip of the sun's magnetic poles and Earth's  autumnal equinox in the northern hemisphere, the frequency of auroras should improve

      See you at the meeting tomorrow night.

      Don…

      GEOMAGNETIC UNREST: Earth's polar magnetic field is unsettled as our planet enters a stream of fast (~500 km/s) solar wind. The encounter is sparking the first auroras of September. This morning in Fairbanks, Alaska, photographer Ronn Murry snapped this aurora-selfie:

      "It's been a long summer waiting for the auroras, but finally after months of Midnight Sun, in the early hours September 1st, the clouds and daylight gave way to the first great display of the season as we traveled back to Fairbanks, Alaska from the Arctic Circle," says Murray. "The Ice Road was muddy but the fall colors were beautiful including those in the sky!"

      More auroras are in the offing. NOAA forecasters estimate a 45% chance of polar geomagnetic storms on Sept. 2nd when a CME (movie) is expected to hit Earth's magnetic field. Aurora alerts: text, voice.

    • Richard Gardner

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2013
          Yes...I will be at the diner at 5:15pm.

          See you there.