Re: [delmarvastargazers] irony?

  • Paul Riley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2013
      I wonder if it is still under warranty....?

      ------------------------------
      On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 2:55 PM EDT Don Surles wrote:

      >this is an interesting read….
      >
      > http://news.yahoo.com/rocket-engine-part-recovered-amazon-ceo-apollo-11-124838031.html
      >
      >don…
      >
      >Rocket Engine Part Recovered by Amazon CEO Has Apollo 11 History
      >

      >by Robert Z. Pearlman, collectSPACE.com Editor July 20, 2013 Science, Social Science, & Humanities
      >
      >.
      >View gallery
      >
      >Corrosion removed from the base of a Saturn V engine thrust chamber recovered by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos …
      >Forty-four years (and three days) after it helped launch the first men to walk on the moon, a huge rocket engine part salvaged from the ocean floor has been positively identified as a historic component of the Apollo 11 lunar landing mission.
      >
      >"I'm thrilled to share some exciting news," Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos wrote Friday (July 19) on his Bezos Expeditions website. "44 years ago tomorrow [July 20] Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon, and now we have recovered a critical technological marvel that made it all possible."
      >
      >In March 2012, the billionaire entrepreneur underwrote a private — and secret — expedition to find and recover the Apollo engines that launched astronauts Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins to the moon. [Apollo 11 Moon Rocket's F-1 Engines Explained (Infographic)]
      >
      >After their fuel was spent, the 12.2-foot-wide-by-18.5-foot-tall (3.7 by 5.6 m) F-1 engines were allowed to drop into the Atlantic Ocean. The force of the impact with the water and their ensuing plunge to the seafloor 14,000 feet (4,300 m) below the surface ripped apart the massive structures, leaving them almost unrecognizable.
      >
      >In March 2013, Bezos revealed that his team had raised the parts for at least two F-1 engines, but they didn't know if they were from Apollo 11 or one of the 12 other Saturn V rockets that flew between 1967 and 1973, each equipped with five of the engines.
      >
      >"There was one secret that the ocean didn't give up easily: mission identification," Bezos wrote on his website. "The components' fiery end and heavy corrosion from 43 years underwater removed or covered up most of the original serial numbers."
      >
      >The job of identifying the heritage of the thrust chambers, gas generators, injectors, heat exchangers, turbines, fuel manifolds and dozens of other F-1 engine artifacts fell to the conservation team at the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center in Hutchinson, Kansas. In addition to their work cleaning and stabilizing the parts for public display, the conservators were tasked with meticulously inspecting and documenting each component.

> [...]
    • Paul Riley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2013
        Enjoying your summer?

        The August issue of Star Gazers News is available for download.

        Members can download here:

        Non-members can also download to see what the Stargazers are all about!

        Comments

        Clear skies and no mosquitoes !