Re: [delmarvastargazers] Omega Centauri Can be Seen from the Equestrian Center

  • Bob bunge
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2013
      Very nice! The center is the better site for this. Years ago I saw it with the 20-inch from CM Crocket park in Virginia. I had to ask someone to move their van, as it blocking the way!

      Bob

      On Apr 11, 2013, at 9:32 AM, "Michael" <sarkikos@...> wrote:

      > Last New Moon I was observing at the Equestrian Center site and was able to see Omega Centauri very close to the southern horizon. I don't know if anyone else has seen it from Tuckahoe, but this was a first for me - anywhere! This was a few minutes before Omega was predicted by SkySafari Pro on my tablet to be at the meridian. There is a line of trees due south, so you have to catch Omega Centauri in a gap before it reaches these trees. Also, I had to walk back up in the large field near the barn area in order to see the cluster in my 7x42 binoculars. I hurried back to my 10" Dob farther south, to see it through the telescope, but I couldn't see it then. It had already passed behind the trees.
      >
      > I've tried to see Omega Centauri from the ballfield, but the southern horizon is just not low enough there. But it definitely is possible from the Equestrian Center. Omega Centauri is the largest, brightest globular cluster that we can see. I thought it might be interesting to give it a try at the star party. I won't be able to make it. But Saturday night should be mostly clear and would be a good opportunity to see the big glob. I don't know offhand when it's supposed to be at the meridian then. That information should be easy to find out from a planetarium program. Just remember to start looking well before the time that Omega will be at the meridian, otherwise it will be hidden by that row of trees.
      >
      > Good luck!
      >
      > Mike

    • Michael
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
        I think between our two Tuckahoe sites, the Equestrian Center is the only one from which we can see Omega Centauri. I've tried numerous times to catch it from the ballfield, but the southern horizon is just too high. I even walked back as far as I could northward, nearly into the woods, but still couldn't catch sight of the glob. Maybe if you set up a tall ladder at the north edge of the field and stood near the top of the ladder you'd be able to see Omega Centauri with binoculars!

        This is a shame, because even in March and April at the Equestrian Center, Omega isn't near the meridian until around 2:30 or 1:30 AM. (Check those times with a planetarium program to be sure!) It'd be better if we could spot Omega when it culminates earlier in the night and the temps are warmer.

        Mike