Re: [delmarvastargazers] comet tonight

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013
      Michael, I found it also from the tower at Mallard Lodge…actually I had given up looking from the tower and retreated to my truck tailgate.

      IT WAS COLD on the tower.

      I did get some good shots of the sunset and crescent moon.

      The comet will have to wait - next time I will try a wide-angle lens, set at infinity and go for a several second exposure.

      I could never find the comet in my long lens…

      It was very bright in the 20X80 Celestron bino…the nucleus was very bright…the tail was about twice as long as the crescent moon…say 1 degree for the tail.

      The sky cleared a bit before sunset  - amazingly clear overhead but the anti-comet gods put some nasty clouds on the horizon that prevented a good clean view.

      Next time that comet will not be so elusive…here is a link to the sunset photos…just click on "Slideshow" to the right of my photo

      Don…

      On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:35 PM, Michael Lecuyer wrote:

      Found it tonight a few degrees to the left of the moon from Viola, De.
      Good sized tail with a very bright coma. The tail side towards the moon
      seemed brighter.

      On 3/12/2013 17:13 PM, Douglas Towner wrote:
      > I climbed up on a roof this past saturday and didnt find my phone till
      > monday. Keep your phones safe!
      >
      > Doug

    • Dwane Miles
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013
        I was able to catch it with 7x50 binos from southeastern Baltimore County.

        Not sent from an iPad

        On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:04 PM, Don Surles <don.surles@...> wrote:

        Michael, I found it also from the tower at Mallard Lodge…actually I had given up looking from the tower and retreated to my truck tailgate.

        IT WAS COLD on the tower.

        I did get some good shots of the sunset and crescent moon.

        The comet will have to wait - next time I will try a wide-angle lens, set at infinity and go for a several second exposure.

        I could never find the comet in my long lens…

        It was very bright in the 20X80 Celestron bino…the nucleus was very bright…the tail was about twice as long as the crescent moon…say 1 degree for the tail.

        The sky cleared a bit before sunset  - amazingly clear overhead but the anti-comet gods put some nasty clouds on the horizon that prevented a good clean view.

        Next time that comet will not be so elusive…here is a link to the sunset photos…just click on "Slideshow" to the right of my photo

        Don…

        On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:35 PM, Michael Lecuyer wrote:

        Found it tonight a few degrees to the left of the moon from Viola, De.
        Good sized tail with a very bright coma. The tail side towards the moon
        seemed brighter.

        On 3/12/2013 17:13 PM, Douglas Towner wrote:
        > I climbed up on a roof this past saturday and didnt find my phone till
        > monday. Keep your phones safe!
        >
        > Doug

      • Robert Bunge
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013
          We found it from Bowie, first found in binocs, but best seen at 17x in a 4.25-inch f/4 RFT.  Nice to see, but a very underwhelming comet at this point!   I think I saw it naked eye, but wasn't really sure.

          Bob

        • david.heberling@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013
            Cheryl and I drove over to a fallow field not far from our house with a good view of the sunset. Using binoculars, we were able to find the comet a half hour after sunset. Pretty underwhelming as comets go, but cool nonetheless. I saw the tail pointing away from the moon.

            --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don Surles <don.surles@...> wrote:

            > Folks…the weather map indicates we may have a clear sky by sunset (7:06PM)
            >
            > I plan to be at the tower to feast on the apparition.
            >
            > See you there around 7:00PM
            >
            > Don…

          • Joe Morris
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013
            Tonight, March 12th, several of us from the Arizona Sky Village drove up
            the San Simon Valley north about 20 miles to have a better western
            horizon for the conjunction of Comet Panstarrs and the Moon. The Dos
            Cabezas Mountains are to the west but have a much lower elevation than
            the Chiricahua Mountains near the Sky Village.

            This image was taken about 40 minutes after official sunset with a Canon
            XT Rebel camera with a Nikor 180mm lens at f4. The exposure was 1sec at
            ISO 400.

            The Comet seemed a little brighter tonight but the sky was also pristine.

            Joe