Re: [delmarvastargazers] Stargazing this weekend

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2013
      I moved my 17.5" Coulter outside around 4 this afternoon…and looked at Orion, Jupiter and some double stars around 7:00PM.

      The atmosphere was extremely calm…splitting double stars with a 17.5" F4.5 wide open!  Jupiter was almost directly overhead (had to use a ladder) - the image was very sharp…3 bands showing…all 4 moons with a small moon shadow on the planet's surface.

      the eyepieces were COLD…street lights were BRIGHT and the spruce trees twixt my driveway and the neighbor have grown at least 4 feet in the last year.

      So…I am ready for this weekend…I will be at Blackbird Saturday night if the weather permits.

      Don...

      On Feb 6, 2013, at 7:24 PM, astro_guy_51 wrote:

      It's been quite a while since we've had clear skies, but the good weather gods are smiling on this upcoming new moon weekend. I've been itching to get my new Stellarvue 105mm out and put it through it's paces. Anyone else interested in going to Tuckahoe Equestrian Center for stargazing on Saturday? If so, drop a line.
      Dennis

    • Raymond Diedrichs
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 7, 2013
        I sent in my membership form and check earlier this week. I am a rank beginner who would like to learn the night sky with binoculars now and eventually buy a telescope. I'm thinking that a small apo refractor is a good choice, and I'd really like to take a look through a Stellarvue 105mm.

        Last night I went out with my brand new copy of Gary Seronik's "Binocular Highlights" and an old pair of 8x42 birding binoculars and managed to locate Kembles Cascade. I was very pleased.

        So count me in, if you don't mind me asking a lot of questions. The Web site indicates that we meet at the ballpark, but I see that you would rather meet at the Equestrian Center. About what time should I be there?

        Regards,

        Ray Diedrichs

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 7, 2013
          This Saturday Mercury will be close to it's greatest elongation East at
          18 degrees (which will occur on the 13th) which is also the highest
          Mercury will be for the entire year in our hemisphere. If you don't
          trust the weather for the following weekend take a look at it this
          Saturday evening.

          Look for it in the West after sunset - binoculars or a finder scope may
          be needed. It will be one degree north of Mars. You may be able to see
          it by 17:45 eight degrees above the horizon and 15 degrees from the Sun
          at about 11 deg from the horizon at azimuth 248 deg.

          The International Space Station (IIS) will pass over the Equestrian
          Center at mag -2.9 starting at 18:55:20 in the WSW, peak at 18:58:39 at
          61 deg in the NW and disappear at 19:00 at 33 deg in the NNE.

          The times and directions are nearly the same for Blackbird (8 seconds
          later) and the magnitude will be slightly brighter at -3.0.

          My estimate for the Blackbird site is 39.4086° N, 75.5767° W and could
          be improved by reporting back a better GPS value.

          I could use a fix for the Tuckahoe ball park too. These values will be
          added to the web site. It will certainly make a difference for Iridium
          flare predictions.
        • astro_guy_51
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 7, 2013
            Hi Ray,

            If the weather clears after the nor'easter moves through, which it should, and we don't have howling winds, I should be there around 4-5 PM. If the weather doesn't cooperate, I'll post a note back to the group by 3PM indicating that I that I threw in the towel. My primary interest is astrophotography, but will be happy to segment some time to view the heavens. Make sure you dress warmly. Temps are predicted to be in the 20's.

            Dennis

            --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Raymond Diedrichs wrote:

            > I sent in my membership form and check earlier this week. I am a rank beginner who would like to learn the night sky with binoculars now and eventually buy a telescope. I'm thinking that a small apo refractor is a good choice, and I'd really like to take a look through a Stellarvue 105mm.
            >
            > Last night I went out with my brand new copy of Gary Seronik's "Binocular Highlights" and an old pair of 8x42 birding binoculars and managed to locate Kembles Cascade. I was very pleased.
            >
            > So count me in, if you don't mind me asking a lot of questions. The Web site indicates that we meet at the ballpark, but I see that you would rather meet at the Equestrian Center. About what time should I be there?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Ray Diedrichs
            >

            > ________________________________

          • rdiedrichs2001
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 8, 2013
              That sounds good. I'm very interested in the equipment, so just watching you capture images would be great.

              --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "astro_guy_51" wrote:

              > Hi Ray,
              >
              > If the weather clears after the nor'easter moves through, which it should, and we don't have howling winds, I should be there around 4-5 PM. If the weather doesn't cooperate, I'll post a note back to the group by 3PM indicating that I that I threw in the towel. My primary interest is astrophotography, but will be happy to segment some time to view the heavens. Make sure you dress warmly. Temps are predicted to be in the 20's.
              >
              > Dennis
              >

              > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Raymond Diedrichs wrote:
              > >
              > > I sent in my membership form and check earlier this week. I am a rank beginner who would like to learn the night sky with binoculars now and eventually buy a telescope. I'm thinking that a small apo refractor is a good choice, and I'd really like to take a look through a Stellarvue 105mm.
              > >
              > > Last night I went out with my brand new copy of Gary Seronik's "Binocular Highlights" and an old pair of 8x42 birding binoculars and managed to locate Kembles Cascade. I was very pleased.
              > >
              > > So count me in, if you don't mind me asking a lot of questions. The Web site indicates that we meet at the ballpark, but I see that you would rather meet at the Equestrian Center. About what time should I be there?
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > Ray Diedrichs
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • astro_guy_51
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 9, 2013
                Looks like the skies are going to be absolutely pristine tonight, barring average seeing. However, I'm packing up the gear and should be there by 5 PM.

                I called the ranger yesterday. They'll have the gates open for club members and expecting at least 2, so far, at the Equestrian Center. FYI: The ball field is closed. Any other stargazers joining us tonight for viewing?

                Dennis

                --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "astro_guy_51" wrote:

                > Hi Ray,
                >
                > If the weather clears after the nor'easter moves through, which it should, and we don't have howling winds, I should be there around 4-5 PM. If the weather doesn't cooperate, I'll post a note back to the group by 3PM indicating that I that I threw in the towel. My primary interest is astrophotography, but will be happy to segment some time to view the heavens. Make sure you dress warmly. Temps are predicted to be in the 20's.
                >
                > Dennis
                >

                > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Raymond Diedrichs wrote:
                > >
                > > I sent in my membership form and check earlier this week. I am a rank beginner who would like to learn the night sky with binoculars now and eventually buy a telescope. I'm thinking that a small apo refractor is a good choice, and I'd really like to take a look through a Stellarvue 105mm.
                > >
                > > Last night I went out with my brand new copy of Gary Seronik's "Binocular Highlights" and an old pair of 8x42 birding binoculars and managed to locate Kembles Cascade. I was very pleased.
                > >
                > > So count me in, if you don't mind me asking a lot of questions. The Web site indicates that we meet at the ballpark, but I see that you would rather meet at the Equestrian Center. About what time should I be there?
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > >
                > > Ray Diedrichs

              • Michael Lecuyer
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 12, 2013
                  There is a large prominence on the sun, one of those big loops they show
                  on science programs as if they happened every day. Normally it's
                  broccoli, low bridges and scattered small flames.

                  Additionally there are mid-sized to smaller prominence, at least two
                  large active regions, and many mid to small filaments.

                  Seeing is average with average during the day corresponding to poor at
                  night.