Re: Messier Marathon...

  • Dave Wells
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Norton Douglas (MTRV)"
      <douglas.norton@s...> wrote:
      > So what happened to the guys that went out and did the Messier
      Marathon?
      > Haven't heard any reports... was it a success?

      Doug,

      Sorry I haven't reported before this.

      I went out on Thursday night to attempt the Messier Marathon. John
      and Bill(?) were there to view but were not trying the marathon.

      The sky was clear, except for clouds low in the west, and dark. This
      was my first visit to Tiuckahoe near the dark of a new moon and I was
      impressed with the viewing.

      The low clouds to the west wiped out the beginning of the marathon as
      neitherPisces or Cetus could be seen at first dark, so M74 and M77
      were lost right off the bat.

      I got a call from my wife , because my mother had fallen and been
      taken to the hospital, so I had to pack up and leave early (about
      8:30). But I did learn that my knowledge of the constellations is
      not sufficient, nor are my star hopping skills, to even be thinking
      about doing the marathon. I had trouble discerning the
      constellations amongst all the stars visible, I'm not used to good
      viewing conditions, and found it difficult to have to keep referring
      to charts under dim red light.

      I did take the opportunity to enjoy the Orion Nebula under dark skies
      and a brief glimpse of Jupiter before i had to leave.

      Thanks for asking,

      Dave Wells