Re: [delmarvastargazers] Messier Marathon...

  • Art Bianconi
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003
      I'm in North Western New Jersey.

      Don't know what the weather was like for people down on the Delaware
      penninsula but the only thing flying around in the soup we had up here had radar
      or feathers. The thunderstorms were little less than flying floods. Rained so bad
      at times, couldn't even see to drive the car.

      The Messier Marathon that was scheduled at the NJAA's observatory in
      Vorhees State Park was cancelled.

      Art Bianconi

      3/31/2003 11:57:41 AM, "Norton Douglas (MTRV)"
      <douglas.norton@...> wrote:

      > To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
      > From: "Norton Douglas (MTRV)" <douglas.norton@...>
      >
      > Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:57:41 -0500
      > Subject:[delmarvastargazers] Messier Marathon...
      >

      > So what happened to the guys that went out and did the Messier Marathon?
      > Haven’t heard any reports… was it a success?
      >

      > Douglas A. Norton
      >
      > Telecom/Network Technician
      >
      > Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles
      > voice 302.744.2605 / fax 302.739.2140
      >
      > email Douglas.Norton@...
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Dave Wells
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Norton Douglas (MTRV)"
        <douglas.norton@s...> wrote:
        > So what happened to the guys that went out and did the Messier
        Marathon?
        > Haven't heard any reports... was it a success?

        Doug,

        Sorry I haven't reported before this.

        I went out on Thursday night to attempt the Messier Marathon. John
        and Bill(?) were there to view but were not trying the marathon.

        The sky was clear, except for clouds low in the west, and dark. This
        was my first visit to Tiuckahoe near the dark of a new moon and I was
        impressed with the viewing.

        The low clouds to the west wiped out the beginning of the marathon as
        neitherPisces or Cetus could be seen at first dark, so M74 and M77
        were lost right off the bat.

        I got a call from my wife , because my mother had fallen and been
        taken to the hospital, so I had to pack up and leave early (about
        8:30). But I did learn that my knowledge of the constellations is
        not sufficient, nor are my star hopping skills, to even be thinking
        about doing the marathon. I had trouble discerning the
        constellations amongst all the stars visible, I'm not used to good
        viewing conditions, and found it difficult to have to keep referring
        to charts under dim red light.

        I did take the opportunity to enjoy the Orion Nebula under dark skies
        and a brief glimpse of Jupiter before i had to leave.

        Thanks for asking,

        Dave Wells