Wallops launch tonight

  • Robert Bunge
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2013
    • Michael Lecuyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2013
        There is one very large ragged loop and a smaller one (normally would
        considered large) on the same side. Not very many sunspots nor active
        regions.

        Seeing is pretty good in Viola.
      • Paul Riley
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2013
          The February newsletter is available for download.

          Members can download here :

          non-members can also download to see what the Stargazers are all about !

          Comments ?

          Pj

        • Michael Lecuyer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2013
            Two days ago there was a large filament (prominence on the surface -
            looks dark) rotating towards the edge of the sun.

            About an hour ago it was a stubby prominence and now it's extended its
            reach quite a bit out from the sun and looks like it will be a large
            loop later today and tomorrow.

            If you have a Ha telescope this is an good perspective on a filament
            turning into prominence.

            Seeing is spotty with the wind but there are moments of clarity unlike
            on the 29th which had a lot of rippling and haze.

            TiltingSun from http://www.atoptics.co.uk/tiltsun.htm for Windows (XP,
            Vista, Win7) that shows the tilt and direction of solar rotation as well
            as providing an overlay grid for photographs and sketching. Since the
            sun's tilt is not at all obvious this program orients you especially
            with an alt-azimuth mounting. Even with an EQ mount the tilt can be a
            surprise.
          • Michael Lecuyer
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2013
              Revision - this is moving off the surface really fast. In about 20
              minutes it's zoomed out to 1/10 of the solar diameter. Not likely to
              form a loop!
            • Michael Lecuyer
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 31, 2013
                So in 15 minutes this prominence has blown out to where I can't see the
                farthest parts since they've cooled.

                I've just noticed that SpaceWeather.com reported on the filament yesterday.

                "If this filament becomes unstable, as bushy magnetic filaments often
                do, it could erupt and hurl a portion of itself into space. Amateur
                astronomers with backyard solar telescopes are advised to monitor
                developments."

                Consider it monitored.

                On 1/31/2013 11:51 AM, Michael Lecuyer wrote:
                > Revision - this is moving off the surface really fast. In about 20
                > minutes it's zoomed out to 1/10 of the solar diameter. Not likely to
                > form a loop!

              • Michael Lecuyer
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2013
                  Its completely gone now. As John Candy & Joe Flaherty used to say on
                  SCTV's Farm Report, "It blowed up real good!"