Sourcing Gear

  • chade2112
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2012
      Greetings, folks!

      I know it's been a while, but I wanted to thank you all again for being so welcoming at the park gathering -- my daughter and I had a wonderful time.

      So, I'm seriously starting to consider buying my first scope and, thanks to several suggestions from you all and some due diligence on my part, I think I'll be starting of with a Celestron NexStar 6. There appears to be a fairly significant jump in cost between the 6 and 8, so I think the 6 will line up with my budget and my observation needs at this time.

      I've looked at astromart and eBay and whatnot, but I'd also like to see if anyone local had one (or something very comparable) they'd like to sell for the sake of saving on shipping and, well, if I can keep the money in the local area, all the better for us. :)

      Otherwise, if anyone knows of any other sources, I'd appreciate some advice on that front. Amazon has them for $790 new, eBay is mostly retail sellers and Astromart doesn't have anything local.

      Thanks!
      Rob
    • Tim
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2012
        Rob,

        Unless small size and portability are a major factor, the simple rule of thumb is to get the most bang (aperture) for your buck. The Nexstar 6 is about $800 new. It has a 5.9" mirror and f-ratio of f10. With a 32mm Plossl eyepiece that will yield about 47x mag and 1 degree field of view.

        The Orion XT10i is about $750 new. It has a 10" mirror and f-ratio of f4.7. With a 32mm Plossl eyepiece that will yield about 37x mag and 1.3 degree field of view.

        http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/IntelliScope-Dobsonians/Orion-SkyQuest-XT10i-IntelliScope-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/27/p/102013.uts

        Here is the short URL to the XT10i webpage:

        http://tinyurl.com/c4z5w6s

        Also the XT10i will show more of the objects in the computer database than the Nexstar 6. Even thought there are 44,000 objects in the Nexstar 6 database, that does not mean the 5.9 inch mirror will show them. I would look at a Dob in the same price range.

        Tim Milligan

        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "chade2112" <wiltbank@...> wrote:

        > Greetings, folks!
        >
        > I know it's been a while, but I wanted to thank you all again for being so welcoming at the park gathering -- my daughter and I had a wonderful time.
        >
        > So, I'm seriously starting to consider buying my first scope and, thanks to several suggestions from you all and some due diligence on my part, I think I'll be starting of with a Celestron NexStar 6. There appears to be a fairly significant jump in cost between the 6 and 8, so I think the 6 will line up with my budget and my observation needs at this time.
        >
        > I've looked at astromart and eBay and whatnot, but I'd also like to see if anyone local had one (or something very comparable) they'd like to sell for the sake of saving on shipping and, well, if I can keep the money in the local area, all the better for us. :)
        >
        > Otherwise, if anyone knows of any other sources, I'd appreciate some advice on that front. Amazon has them for $790 new, eBay is mostly retail sellers and Astromart doesn't have anything local.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Rob

      • Rob Wiltbank
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14, 2012
          Thanks so much for the information!

          I'm really starting to consider if I have the room for it in the house when its not in use, heh!  But, I'm also fairly positive that I'll be getting into astrophotography at some point in the future, so I do want to make sure that I'll be able to do tracking, which it seems that this scope might not be able to do well because of the axes on which it moves.

          Is there another scope I should perhaps consider with that in mind?  I'm all for getting the most bang for the buck.  :)