Viewing the Perseids

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2012
      Folks…now that August has arrived…thank God we survived July…it is time to plan for the Perseid Meteor Shower.

      This year we have some good news, some bad news, and of course the weather, mosquitoes  and the debris from Comet Swift-Tuttle that enter into our meteor watch equation.

      First the good news…the peak of the shower is expected on a weekend…the nights of Aug 10, 11 & 12

      Then the bad news…a waning crescent moon will gum up the works after midnite…

      and the not so bad news…the phase of the moon is  decreasing…and it is low in the sky

      So…making plans to see the meteor shower is up to us.

      I propose we go to the Equestrian Center for the viewing…there should be less fog there than is normal on the baseball field…maybe a breeze that would mean fewer mosquitoes .

      Also propose that we make this an outing with all-nite hot dogs, hamburgers, coffee, hot chocolate, other treats…it is  weekend…

      There are no reliable long range weather forecasts for the period Aug 10-12…so why not schedule both Friday and Saturday nights and pick the best one as the time nears?

      And, if both Friday & Saturday are washouts I am OK with going Sunday night and welcome anyone not going to for on Monday morning to join me.

      Waiting to hear from you.

      Don...
    • Calixto Estrada
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2012
        Hi Don

        Will be returning from vacation 8/11, not sure if I can make it.

        It'll have to be a game time call..

        Cal