we dodged a bullet

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2012

      VERY FAST FARSIDE CME (UPDATED): On July 23rd, a coronal mass ejection (CME) blasted away from the sun with rare speed: 3400 km/s or 7.6 million mph. CMEs moving this fast occur only once every ~5 to 10 years. The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory recorded the cloud's rapid departure from the sun:

      The source of the CME was sunspot AR1520, which sparked many bright auroras earlier this month when it was on the Earthside of the sun. Now, however, the active region is transiting the sun's farside so this blast was not geoeffective. One can only imagine the geomagnetic storms such a fast CME could produce if it were heading our way.

      here is a pic of Sunspot 1520 taken from my driveway a day before it unleashed the X1 flare toward Earth.  1520 is the large group on the left.

      Don...

    • Paul Riley
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24, 2012
        From Pj
        For those who aren't gonna be in the area for NO FRILLS, or seeking darker skies, see below:

        My name is Jayme Hanzak, President of the Chapel Hill Astronomical Observational Society.
        Our club hosts the Staunton River Star Party in Scottsburg, Virginia.
        The park offers some of the last remaining dark skies on the east coast.
         Together with the staff of the Staunton River State Park, We would like to invite you
        and your club members to the star party.
        Information about the party is found at, http://www.stauntonriver-starparty.org/ .
        We are a young star party, but we have great enthusiasm to make this one of the
        major astronomical events. The state park is excited to have us come and enjoy the park.
        This is our third event.
         We hope that you and members of your club will think about joining us this October.
        The dates are October 11th - 16th.

         The park has hot showers and food.
         We hope to see you at the Staunton River Star Party. You can also search us out on FaceBook.

         Clear Skies,

         Jayme Hanzak
         President of the Chapel Hill Astronomical Observational Society
         http://www.chaosastro.org/
         http://www.stauntonriver-starparty.org/
      • Michael Lecuyer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2012
          Hopefully tonight will be good.

          Last night was a good night (July 24th/25th) with a few small passing
          clouds as predicted by Wunderground.com and the clear sky clock.

          Fairly transparent with sky/ground temperature difference of 62 deg F
          (which is rated pretty good). and seeing wasn't too bad with the outer
          diffraction ring a little wobbly.

          The best part - bug-less and dew-less 'til I quit at 2AM - I was out in
          T-shirt and shorts, eyepieces and charts out on a table - no problems.
        • Paul Riley
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 29, 2012
            The August issue of Star Gazer News is available for download.
            Members can download here:

            Non-members can also download to see what the Star Gazers are all about.

            Comments?