WSP Update

  • Chuck Jennings
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 356 KB
    Last night was the best yet. Clear all night long, transparency was respectable, and the seeing was off the charts. Mars at 425x looked like a picture. I picked off a number of southern objects as well as a number of familiar ones. The seeing and altitude really do make a difference. I've never seen m3 or the Leo triplet look so good, and M42 was even better than the 1st night. The CSC is calling for clear skies again tonight, which would make it 4 for 4 in terms of observing nights.

    Outside of astronomy, we spent yesterday at the Bahia Honda beaches. What an amazing place. If you haven't been there before I highly recommend it.

    The attached picture is of my friend Gianluca Masi, who is the curator of the Rome planetarium in Italy. He is speaking the virtual telescope, and some of you may recall the Skype presentation he gave to the club last year. It was great to meet him in person after corresponding electronically for the last 3 years.

    I'll have a lot to talk about at the next meeting.