Re: Looking for any advice on WSP

  • jmorris6966
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
      Hi Tim -- I've been to the WSP several times. Will you be camping onsite? RV? There use to be a race to get in line starting the day before opening but it was dangerous parking along the busy highway and I think they've cut that out and have some other way to get people in on an orderly basis. You probably have information in your packet about all that.

      After years of jockeying and scrounging for the best location, I now think it doesn't make much difference. I used to try for the beachfront but wind can be a problem as can salty sea spray. The east end of the island back towards where they park the RV's is good. You're close to one of the bath facilities and speakers building.

      Just enjoy the weather, good seeing, friendly atmosphere, and a wonderful chance to boost your astronomy hobby.

      Joe
      --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <milligan@...> wrote:

      > Anybody been to the WSP in the Keys? Any advice on where to setup with a 24" f/5 dob? Or any other tidbits of useful info would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Tim Milligan

    • Ralph
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2012
        Tim,
        I've been as well and Joe is right. There is quite a line to get in and set up and space is at a premium.
        It really does pay to get in line in the early early am.
        You will likely need to set up your Dob in the burm (sp) which is in the center of the camp and is reserved for scopes only. Usually there is no issue with space there.

        If you are tent camping you will be at least 50 to 60 yards to the right or left of the burm area. Camping space is at an absolute premium and you would be best served by making sure you grab your camping/tent space first. If you go to the left coming in, there are some areas that actually have some trees you could pitch tent (near the Chickees). Shade is nice as it can get pretty sun intense during the day.

        I'm sure you got the instructions on the red ant situation, you will need to use the stuff they recommend which is not available up here but you can pick up at any Home Depot in Florida.

        If you have a chance you might want to get over to Bahia Honda State Park which is just over the bridge before you get to the WSP camp Site for a day trip, swim hike etc.

        I first saw Omega Centauri at WSP and was totally awe struck.
        Have a great trip/
        Ralph D