Blackbird tonight

  • serialmike@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 30, 2011
      I know many if not all are going to Tuckahoe. I hope you all have a great night.

      I am going to be at blackbird.

      Mike
    • serialmike@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 31, 2011
        Went to blackbird 8-30-2011. Setup and relaxed a bit. Patrick showed up at about 9pm. Skies were clear, Transparency was excellent, Seeing was good.

        We hit lots of targets...

        we started off with m101 and checked out the supernova. Then onto M22, M17 Swan, b93 b92 dark neb area I believe in m24. Patrick and I then spotted out the constellations Aquila and Scutum to easily find M11, and Eagle. M16 Eagle (I believe I was able to detect a bit of the pillars. Below duck to NGC 6712 and M26. We checked out M13 and M92 in hercules. We checked out M57 ring and then M27 dumbell nebs. We checked out the Perseus double. Noticed a nice double triangle config in one of the clusters. Also checked out M31,M32, M110 Andromeda The core was really clean and defined. Took a sneak pea at Jupiter to end the eve. It was low in the sky so seeing wasnt two goods. Noticed two bands well definded and several moons.

        It was a fantastic night although dewey. Thank goodness I figured out how to use a towel to fight the dew. We made it to almost midnight before we headed out. Dew did not win on this eve! woot. Overall most everything was clean clear and well defined. I lots of detail in the nebulas last night. We used Patricks 11mm 82 degree eyepiece and I think I need one hehe. Its a sweet spot for the scope.

        It was a great time out there with patrick. Thanks for comin out buddy!.

        Mike

        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, serialmike@... wrote:

        > I know many if not all are going to Tuckahoe. I hope you all have a great night.
        >
        > I am going to be at blackbird.
        >
        > Mike

      • Chuck Jennings
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 31, 2011
          Sounds like it was a great night, thanks for sharing.  I planned on hitting T-hoe, but after finishing a work related call shortly after 8pm, I was too tired to make the drive and went to bed by 9.  I'm looking forward to the T-hoe reports (Doug)..

          Chuck

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Aug 31, 2011, at 8:28 AM, serialmike@... wrote:

          Went to blackbird 8-30-2011. Setup and relaxed a bit. Patrick showed up at about 9pm. Skies were clear, Transparency was excellent, Seeing was good.

          We hit lots of targets...

          we started off with m101 and checked out the supernova. Then onto M22, M17 Swan, b93 b92 dark neb area I believe in m24. Patrick and I then spotted out the constellations Aquila and Scutum to easily find M11, and Eagle. M16 Eagle (I believe I was able to detect a bit of the pillars. Below duck to NGC 6712 and M26. We checked out M13 and M92 in hercules. We checked out M57 ring and then M27 dumbell nebs. We checked out the Perseus double. Noticed a nice double triangle config in one of the clusters. Also checked out M31,M32, M110 Andromeda The core was really clean and defined. Took a sneak pea at Jupiter to end the eve. It was low in the sky so seeing wasnt two goods. Noticed two bands well definded and several moons.

          It was a fantastic night although dewey. Thank goodness I figured out how to use a towel to fight the dew. We made it to almost midnight before we headed out. Dew did not win on this eve! woot. Overall most everything was clean clear and well defined. I lots of detail in the nebulas last night. We used Patricks 11mm 82 degree eyepiece and I think I need one hehe. Its a sweet spot for the scope.

          It was a great time out there with patrick. Thanks for comin out buddy!.

          Mike

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, serialmike@... wrote:

          > I know many if not all are going to Tuckahoe. I hope you all have a great night.
          >
          > I am going to be at blackbird.
          >
          > Mike

        • Bob Bunge
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 31, 2011
            I wasn't able to make it anywhere, but did set up TJ, the 20-inch, in my
            Bowie front yard... a very rare event for me.

            Primary purpose was to test a crayford focuser I had "finished" over the
            weekend (it still needs some tweaks). Figured I'd try to look at M-101
            and the comet. The location is about 30ft from a HPS street light; the
            skies were darker than normal, with a limiting mag of about 3.5.

            After a two star alignment and focuser test, looked at a couple of
            clusters that were easy to see in the 4.25-inch f/4 "Pringles" that I
            hang off the back of TJ to make sure the DSC were working correctly. I
            was too lazy to pull out the battery/laptop/megastar so would work
            directly off the Sky Commander read outs.

            M-101, hanging low in the northeast, from this location is looking right
            through the depths of the northern subs of Washington DC. I figured it
            would be bad, but there was no sign of the galaxy, only some stars.

            I backed off to Alcor and Mizar and pulled out an ancient "Astrocard"
            for M-101. I then used the Astrocard and Pringles, at 17x, to star hop
            to the location of M-101. Location confirmed, I still couldn't see any
            sign of the galaxy in either scope. I suspect one of those stars was
            the SN, but it wasn't going to be easy to ID it directly, so I moved on.

            I used these astrocards for years in the 1980's, and keep them around
            for backup these days. I remembered often jotting notes on the back, so
            as I walked back to the garage, I flipped it over. "Aug 3 86. 31-inch
            32mm, all five. Nice." Mmm... that was a reference to the 31-inch F/7
            Newtonian at Warren Rupp Observatory in Mansfield, Oh and that I saw all
            five galaxies drawn on the Astrocard.

            I moved on the comet. I used the SC to find M-71, then star hopped
            using a finder chart off the web. The comet was visible in Pringles and
            an off center oval in the 20 with no sign of a tail.

            A cute night. At least one neighbor wandered over to ask about the
            "rocket" I was setting up, but had to take off before I could show him
            anything.

            Bob

            Chuck Jennings wrote:

            > Sounds like it was a great night, thanks for sharing. I planned on
            > hitting T-hoe, but after finishing a work related call shortly after
            > 8pm, I was too tired to make the drive and went to bed by 9. I'm
            > looking forward to the T-hoe reports (Doug)..
            >
            > Chuck
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Aug 31, 2011, at 8:28 AM, serialmike@...
            > <mailto:serialmike@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Went to blackbird 8-30-2011. Setup and relaxed a bit. Patrick showed
            >> up at about 9pm. Skies were clear, Transparency was excellent, Seeing
            >> was good.
            >>
            >> We hit lots of targets...
            >>
            >> we started off with m101 and checked out the supernova. Then onto M22,
            >> M17 Swan, b93 b92 dark neb area I believe in m24. Patrick and I then
            >> spotted out the constellations Aquila and Scutum to easily find M11,
            >> and Eagle. M16 Eagle (I believe I was able to detect a bit of the
            >> pillars. Below duck to NGC 6712 and M26. We checked out M13 and M92 in
            >> hercules. We checked out M57 ring and then M27 dumbell nebs. We
            >> checked out the Perseus double. Noticed a nice double triangle config
            >> in one of the clusters. Also checked out M31,M32, M110 Andromeda The
            >> core was really clean and defined. Took a sneak pea at Jupiter to end
            >> the eve. It was low in the sky so seeing wasnt two goods. Noticed two
            >> bands well definded and several moons.
            >>
            >> It was a fantastic night although dewey. Thank goodness I figured out
            >> how to use a towel to fight the dew. We made it to almost midnight
            >> before we headed out. Dew did not win on this eve! woot. Overall most
            >> everything was clean clear and well defined. I lots of detail in the
            >> nebulas last night. We used Patricks 11mm 82 degree eyepiece and I
            >> think I need one hehe. Its a sweet spot for the scope.
            >>
            >> It was a great time out there with patrick. Thanks for comin out buddy!.
            >>
            >> Mike
            >>
            >> --- In
            >> <mailto:delmarvastargazers%40yahoogroups.com>delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            >> <mailto:delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>, serialmike@... wrote:
            >> >
            >> > I know many if not all are going to Tuckahoe. I hope you all have a
            >> great night.
            >> >
            >> > I am going to be at blackbird.
            >> >
            >> > Mike
            >> >

            > --
            > believed to be clean.
          • Chuck Jennings
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 31, 2011
              You were a better man than I was.  At least you set up in the yard.   I was snoozing on one of the better nights of the year!  Although I did get 3 pristine and 1 good night at cherry springs last week!

               A friend of mine also allowed me to test the new Televue Delos 10mm last Tuesday.  I will be writing a review for him, and also send it to PJ for the news letter.

              Chuck

              Sent from my iPhone

              Chuck Jennings wrote:

              > Sounds like it was a great night, thanks for sharing. I planned on
              > hitting T-hoe, but after finishing a work related call shortly after
              > 8pm, I was too tired to make the drive and went to bed by 9. I'm
              > looking forward to the T-hoe reports (Doug)..
              >
              > Chuck
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Aug 31, 2011, at 8:28 AM, serialmike@...
              > <mailto:serialmike@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Went to blackbird 8-30-2011. Setup and relaxed a bit. Patrick showed
              >> up at about 9pm. Skies were clear, Transparency was excellent, Seeing
              >> was good.
              >>
              >> We hit lots of targets...
              >>
              >> we started off with m101 and checked out the supernova. Then onto M22,
              >> M17 Swan, b93 b92 dark neb area I believe in m24. Patrick and I then
              >> spotted out the constellations Aquila and Scutum to easily find M11,
              >> and Eagle. M16 Eagle (I believe I was able to detect a bit of the
              >> pillars. Below duck to NGC 6712 and M26. We checked out M13 and M92 in
              >> hercules. We checked out M57 ring and then M27 dumbell nebs. We
              >> checked out the Perseus double. Noticed a nice double triangle config
              >> in one of the clusters. Also checked out M31,M32, M110 Andromeda The
              >> core was really clean and defined. Took a sneak pea at Jupiter to end
              >> the eve. It was low in the sky so seeing wasnt two goods. Noticed two
              >> bands well definded and several moons.
              >>
              >> It was a fantastic night although dewey. Thank goodness I figured out
              >> how to use a towel to fight the dew. We made it to almost midnight
              >> before we headed out. Dew did not win on this eve! woot. Overall most
              >> everything was clean clear and well defined. I lots of detail in the
              >> nebulas last night. We used Patricks 11mm 82 degree eyepiece and I
              >> think I need one hehe. Its a sweet spot for the scope.
              >>
              >> It was a great time out there with patrick. Thanks for comin out buddy!.
              >>
              >> Mike
              >>
              >> --- In
              >> <mailto:delmarvastargazers%40yahoogroups.com>delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
              >> <mailto:delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>, serialmike@... wrote:
              >> >
              >> > I know many if not all are going to Tuckahoe. I hope you all have a
              >> great night.
              >> >
              >> > I am going to be at blackbird.
              >> >
              >> > Mike
              >> >

              > --
              > believed to be clean.

            • Douglas Norton
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 31, 2011
                I'm doing some research on the two field stars we used to help us identify the supernova in M101 last night. The two field stars we used are called GSC 03852-0180 at magnitude 13.69 and GSC 03582-1128 at magnitude 13.78. The supernova (SN 2011fe) was spaced exactly in between these two stars just slightly out of line toward the nucleus of M101. It was bright. Easily viewable in my C8 and confirmed by Tim and we also confirmed its position in his 24-inch scope. I had viewed this supernova on Sunday night, the 28th, from Blackbird and I originally thought I had failed to see it. What I had originally thought was a double star in one of the finder charts turned out to be NGC5455. I had believed what I was seeing was this "double" and not the supernova. With the help of Tim's 24-inch scope we could positively identify the field stars and the supernova's position. Once I understood that what I was actually seeing wasn't a double star at all, it became quite obvious that the supernova was considerably brighter than either of the two stars we were using to locate the supernova. It was easily twice as bright as either of these two stars but I don't know what that translates to in magnitudes. Maybe Bob can help out with what that might translate to in magnitude ranges as I am not a variable star observer. Maybe there is some published magnitudes for the supernova's brightness as of last night???

                Doug Norton
                www.douglasnorton.com
                IMCA #7432
                www.imca.cc
                Sounds like it was a great night, thanks for sharing.  I planned on hitting T-hoe, but after finishing a work related call shortly after 8pm, I was too tired to make the drive and went to bed by 9.  I'm looking forward to the T-hoe reports (Doug)..

                Chuck

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Aug 31, 2011, at 8:28 AM, serialmike@... wrote:

                Went to blackbird 8-30-2011. Setup and relaxed a bit. Patrick showed up at about 9pm. Skies were clear, Transparency was excellent, Seeing was good.

                We hit lots of targets...

                we started off with m101 and checked out the supernova. Then onto M22, M17 Swan, b93 b92 dark neb area I believe in m24. Patrick and I then spotted out the constellations Aquila and Scutum to easily find M11, and Eagle. M16 Eagle (I believe I was able to detect a bit of the pillars. Below duck to NGC 6712 and M26. We checked out M13 and M92 in hercules. We checked out M57 ring and then M27 dumbell nebs. We checked out the Perseus double. Noticed a nice double triangle config in one of the clusters. Also checked out M31,M32, M110 Andromeda The core was really clean and defined. Took a sneak pea at Jupiter to end the eve. It was low in the sky so seeing wasnt two goods. Noticed two bands well definded and several moons.

                It was a fantastic night although dewey. Thank goodness I figured out how to use a towel to fight the dew. We made it to almost midnight before we headed out. Dew did not win on this eve! woot. Overall most everything was clean clear and well defined. I lots of detail in the nebulas last night. We used Patricks 11mm 82 degree eyepiece and I think I need one hehe. Its a sweet spot for the scope.

                It was a great time out there with patrick. Thanks for comin out buddy!.

                Mike

                --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, serialmike@... wrote:

                > I know many if not all are going to Tuckahoe. I hope you all have a great night.
                >
                > I am going to be at blackbird.
                >
                > Mike

              • Douglas Norton
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 31, 2011
                  SkyTools lists M101 as lying 28 Million light years away but all articles I've found relating to M101 state it is 21 Million light years away. Who to believe???

                  Doug Norton
                  www.douglasnorton.com
                  IMCA #7432
                  www.imca.cc

                • Bob Bunge
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 31, 2011
                    Doug,

                    Possible charts here:

                    http://www.aavso.org/vsp

                    Put in SN 2011fe

                    and look at at least the "a" through "c" charts. I would use the AAVSO
                    stars, not whatever GSC stars might be close by; as the mags on those
                    stars might or not have been QC'ed. Some other reports say the SN
                    appears red. Red stars are difficult to visually estimate; the more you
                    look, the brighter they appear to be. One method is look quickly,
                    rotating your head so the variable and comparison star are in line with
                    your eyes, or horizontal.

                    Bob

                  • suburbangy@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 31, 2011
                      As I recall from reading about the supernova in M101, they are using that event to calibrate how far away M101 is from us. Maybe we will get a new number soon.

                      Bill Hartung

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 31, 2011
                        I really didn't think to mention color but I would say it was definitely "redder" than the two stars we used to locate it. However I wouldn't flat out say "red" or "orange" I would just say not as "white" as the two stars we used to locate the SN.

                        Doug Norton
                        www.douglasnorton.com
                        IMCA #7432
                        www.imca.cc

                        ymailto="mailto:delmarvastargazers%40yahoogroups.com">delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>

                      • Douglas Norton
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 24, 2014
                          Maybe I'm crazy but heading to Blackbird to try for the supernova in M82.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Douglas Norton
                          www.douglasnorton.com
                          IMCA #7432