Re: [delmarvastargazers] newbie wants to do something tonight

  • Chuck Jennings
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2011
      Welcome, and hopefully we'll see you at the party on the 9th.  You'll meet a lot of great people who are more than happy to talk with you about gear, dark sky sites, etc.  There are a number of folks who observe at both blackbird and tuckahoe, so it wouldn't be unusual to run into members on a clear, moonless night at either site.  Most of the sessions are announced and organized on this group, so feel free to post if you plan on going out on a given night...there is a good chance that someone may join you.

      - Chuck

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 3, 2011, at 7:40 PM, Rogers George <rogers.george@...> wrote:

      Looks like I get to wait until the weekend. I'm in Annapolis most of the time, so Tuckahoe will be closer, though Blackbird sounds good on weekends, when I often go home. My life is slightly complicated by the fact that my only transportation down here is a motorcycle. (I'm thinking maybe I can put the optical tube into a backpack and strap the tripod onto the bike somehow.) Maybe I'll crash that July 9 party.
      Best wishes,
      Rogers George

      On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 6:57 PM, <dnorton618@...> wrote:

      I plan to be at Blackbird tomorrow night. Weather promises to be better. I live in Bear and Blackbird is as good if not better than Tuckahoe and it's way closer. Maybe we'll see you there tomorrow night.

      Doug Norton
      IMCA #7432

      From: Calixto Estrada <ce6349@...>
      Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 15:52:56 -0700 (PDT)
      Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] newbie wants to do something tonight

      Hi Rogers

      You found the right group of folks!

      Attached is the DSG website, along with the "Clear Sky Clock" with a "click for help" button on how to interpret it.
      Tonight won't be the best night, Mon PM is better.

      Also Blackbird State Forest is closer than Tuckahoe, and arguably, about as dark.  Also on the website.

      There are many seasoned observers who can help you navigate the sky.  I am a "go to" guy, since my telescope mount
      finds objects for me.  Many of our members know how to navigate the sky like the back of their hand (Doug, Don, Chuck, Michael, many others).

      The Celestron Nextstar 8 is a nice Scope.  The owners manual would describe how to setup and operate.  Again, many of us also have SCT's.

      Folks usually post observing sessions on the Yahoo groups Email.  Welcome to Delmarva Star Gazers.

      Cal Estrada