Re: [delmarvastargazers] Observation Report: January 25, 2003 further South

  • TomL Puma
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2003
      Hi All! I'm a new member, well witing for approval, any how just wanted to
      say that last nite 3 hours south from you it was CLEAR, severe clear. I was
      too lazy to take my 12.5, my new scope, so I carried out my Orion 4.5 Short
      tube to let cool. About 6:30 I went out and the sky was beautiful - clear &
      crisp. I used every eyepiece in my meager collection and accept for barlowed
      UO 7, which is unusually hi mag for this scope anyhow, everything was sharp
      even in my yard with every lite on in the neighborhood. By the way, since I
      became hooked a few months ago I notice every nite more and more lites on..
      is this a plot? Even homes that don't even looked lived in now have lites,
      plural, on that never did before... well that can't stop me!

      Anyhow, I'm sorry I didn't carrry out my Discovery 12.5 as it was one of the
      clearest nites I've seen in several months here and I was happily surprised
      with the performance of the 4.5. By the way my recent acqisition of UO 16mm
      wide and UO orthos are great! For the bucks they are a joy to look thru and
      very sharp.

      Hope to make meetings soon!!!

      Bye
      TomL
      Parksley, Va... the other Eastern Shore

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
        The U.S. Space Shuttle Columbia, flying STS 107 apparently dissentegrated
        over north Texas during re-entry according to CNN, CBS, and NBC TV
        reports. Columbia launched on January 16 for that
        orbiter's 28th journey. Communication was lost at 8:00 Central Time (14:00
        GMT), 16 minutes prior to the scheduled landing, at an altitude of 200,000
        feet (61km) and velocity of 12,000 miles per hour (19,000
        km/h). NASA advises people to report and avoid debris in the area because
        it may inlude toxic propellants.

        http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/

        http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/02/01/shuttle.landing.ap/index.html

        http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/02/01/tech/main538865.shtml

        http://www.msnbc.com/news/857733.asp?0cv=CA00

        :/
      • Phillip Awtrey
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
          I telephoned my parents in Tyler, TX; they said the
          shock wave was quite startling. I grew up in
          Corsicana and Palestine, TX -- I'm sure I'll hear more
          about this from a few friends down there.

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com