8334Re: Sunspots with fireworks

  • Jerry Truitt
    Jul 6, 2009
      Thanks Mike, good catch. This may be the real start of the next solar
      sun spot cycle. The Sun has been very quiet for all those who ran out
      and purchased a PST for the last few years.

      By the way we do show the Sun's current EIT (Extreme ultraviolet Imaging
      Telescope) image on our home page.

      Jerry

      --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lecuyer <mjl@...>
      wrote:

      > I was looking at the sun this morning with my PST to see if any large
      > prominences were active since nothing else seems to be happening. To
      my
      > surprise there were two sunspots. Surprising since sunspots are not
      > usually obvious in Ha views.
      >
      > After setting up a white light scope with a filter it turned out there
      > were two groups of sunspots. Whenever I had the chance I looked
      through
      > them both throughout the day. Somewhere between 1PM and 2:30PM the PST
      > showed a very bright active region bridging the two groups. By 4PM the
      > bridge had vanished but a bright patch between the two groups remains.
      >
      > Checking SpaceWeather.com this pair was said to be "crackling with
      > B-class solar flares." The picture today on SW pretty much shows what
      > saw during the sun's performance (although SW shows vastly more
      detail)
      > than the 40mm PST.
      >
      > Another lucky observation. Maybe tomorrow the action will continue.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic