6677Porrima

  • kentblackwell
    May 1 7:58 AM
      Despite a very bright moon I managed to "split" Porrima last night with
      my 100mm f/8 TMB refractor. You're quite right, Don S., it was
      difficult to see the primary star last night because of the bright
      nearly full moon. Instead I let the Vixen SkySensor 2000 find it.

      At 88x, no way! At 160x, no way! At 320x, still no way. The ONLY way I
      was able to see even an elongation, figure-8 pattern was using a 4mm
      TMB eyepiece and a 2.5X Barlow. That brought the power up to 508x,
      pretty whopping for a 4" telescope! I hope to try it again, this time
      using my 10" stopped down, as Don suggested.

      Kent Blackwell
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic