6674Re:Porrima...what a moon!

    May 1, 2007

      Last night was a beautiful night...warm, slight breeze, no dew, no bugs, full moon.  so I decided to make good on my statement to try to split Porrima again.  I wheeled the 17.5" out an hour before darkness, took a quick look at the full moon rising against an unusually dark-bluish-purplish-night-time-rising southeastern horizon...God, what a moon!   What a place to visit!  Then I went inside to wait for darkness.

      Darkness never came.  Our atmosphere is very clean and very transparent - much cleaner than 15-20 years ago.  That moon was so bright...how bright was it?  It was so bright I never found Spica or Porrima.  So I watched the PBS program on the Mormons instead.

      But I will try again for Porrima in a week or two.

      Oh, we had some clouds in the east this morning and there was a beautiful "hole in the sky" with the sun sitting just above the hole and the light gushed, ie, poured thru the hole in a beautiful 3-d cone-shaped display...as seen from my seat at the d-bac-o-d-bus...northbound on I-95 just south of Wilmington, DE.

      Don...

      "kentblackwell" <kent@...>
      Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

      04/30/2007 06:11 PM

      Please respond to
      delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

      delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      [delmarvastargazers] Porrima

      So far two Delmarva Stargazers have split Porrima. I'm indeed
      impressed. Dave Groski split it with a 4.5" f/27 Schiefspiegler, and I
      couldn't split it with a 25". Don't tell me different telescopes serve
      all different purposes!

      I recall Don Surles mentioning fond memories of that 17.5" Coulter
      telescope. Don, I had an 8" f/7 Optical Craftsmen Newtonian back in the
      days when I was a neophyte. I remember hardly ever experiencing what
      looked like bad seeing with that scope. Little did I know that was
      becuase the primary was made by Dick Nelson himself, and was probably
      1/20-wave or better. It had an E&W Quartz diagonal mirror, probably
      equally as accurate. After a couple of years (probably mid-1970's) I
      gave the scope away and moved "UP" to a Celeston C-8. To my amazement
      The C-8 never showed planets or double stars anywhere near as sharp.
      Oh, to have that wonderful 8" f/7 Optical Craftsman again. The last I
      heard it was stored in a basement in Richmond, VA that flooded and the
      scope was scraped. What a waste!!

      Kent Blackwell

      transfers of data to third parties.