5995Re: Directions to Mt. Cuba

  • James T. Morgan
    Dec 1, 2006
      Getting to Mount Cuba is not easy even using the maps that are on line.
      (I will post the urls for these later in this message.)

      You will be taking I95 into Wilmington and getting off at the Route 52
      North exit. Take this until you come to Route 141 South and take that
      until you come to the bottom of the hill and a stop light. That is
      Barley Mill Road and you want to be in the Right lane to make the
      right turn at the light. Stay on that road (drive carefully as the
      road twists and turns and there is a lot of deer in the area) for 3.4
      miles. At that point you will be at an intersection with "Mount Cuba
      Road" so make the right on to it. Stay on this course for 0.8 miles
      and you will get to the front gate of the observatory. If the gate is
      closed just get out and open it as it is unlocked. Leave it open.
      Note this road will make a left after you cross some railroad tracks
      and a small bridge over a stream. Don't make the left continue on as
      it becomes "Hillside Mill Road".

      If you go in the other way the road is a bit more tricky and I suggest
      this way and using milage to know when to turn.

      The maps of the area are at:

      http://www.physics.udel.edu/MCAO/MCAO_Maps.pdf

      Drive carefully.

      James