4987Re: Star Gaze XII activities

    Apr 4, 2006

      Paul, thanks for your kind words.  Delmarva Star Gazers have always promoted friendliness and civility.  We value camaraderie and fellowship with our stargazing friends.  We enjoy good people, good food, clear skies, big telescopes and Naglers.

      We have never denied anyone a look thru the eyepiece whether it is attached to a tasco or a takahashi.

      We promote our starparties to have fun...period.

      If anyone believes we hold them to make money they are severely misinformed.  I would encourage each person who believes our parties are overpriced at $25 for Friday, Saturday and Sunday??? to promote their own party for less.

      If you check the Tuckahoe State Park Website you will find their campsites w/o electricity are $20 per night.   The people who stated they would observe from the ballfield can do that only because Delmarva Star Gazers successfully negotiated with the Park Superintendent to use the ballfield at night.

      There will be star parties only if amateur astronomers value them to the point of supporting them with their $$$.  No organization can provide free star parties.

      As far as by the day or by the night or by the weekend...the cost of a starparty to DSG is the same whether a person stays in a tent or in a hotel...same field, same coffee, same food, same trash, same portapotties, same everything except the snoring is done in the motel room vs the tent next to me.   The other problem is how to tell whether a person is a 1 nighter, 2 nighter, paid, or not paid.   We don't like being policemen - we are at the party to have fun.

      And for information for everyone, our desire to have no treasury is one of the main principles upon which our organization was founded - in reality we must have some funds but we have tried to keep the bank account to a minimum.

      For those on this list who have other priorities and will not attend Star Gaze XII, I can understand your position...if you have other commitments or choose to go to other star parties that is ok with me - it is your decision.   Go and have fun.

      For those who choose to come to Star Gaze XII here is the weather forecast for the Equestrian Center April 28 thru May 2:

      "Warm sunny days around 75F with a slight breeze; nighttime temps will drop to the low 60's by midnight and around 58F by dawn's early light - skies will be extremely clear.  There will also be a slight dew-zapping breeze."

      See you at the Equestrian Center.  The coffee will be Gazer quality and the soup will be hot.  And the hush puppies and fish...

      You may want to bring some sleeping pills so you can sleep during the day and stay up to enjoy the clear night-time hours.

      Don...

      "Paul Gray" <perserid@...>
      Sent by: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

      04/04/2006 01:01 PM

      Please respond to
      delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

      delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      [delmarvastargazers] Re: Star Gaze XII activities

      Hello Everyone,

      I am always happy to see discussion on club activities and events but
      am deeply sadden and somewhat shocked by the recent discussion. I am
      not a member have not been since I moved home to Canada but have many
      friends here at the stargazers so feel free to tell me to but out if
      you choose and I will.

      Having atteneded more than a handful of No Frills and Stargaze events
      I must say they are some of the best and relaxing star parties I been
      too. I did question back in 2001 though the fee structure on a
      different slant….. why is it pay by the day? All of the star parties
      I been too over the last 18 years and every campground I stayed at
      has always been pay by the night. How many nights are you staying? I
      come in on Friday and am charged for 3 days when I am there two
      nights but get up at 8am and check out on Sunday…….(just stirring the
      pot)

      As for the fees…..I will not argue the prices as 2 nights of camping
      alone puts you in the $30-$40 range. Add that to the services the
      volunteers provide through clean up, supplies, planning etc etc etc
      etc, I think Don listed it all well enough.

      But I always wondered about the non-campers. Yes they do exist. Many
      people stay off site in motels and hotels at many star parties
      including stargaze and no-frills. Should a non camper who is there
      only for the observing time pay the same? Almost every star party
      that I can think I been too has had a different fee structure for the
      non-campers. Or is the non-camping astronomers not welcome as it
      seems to have been implied in some of the discussion?

      This last point is what has shocked me. I understand the public
      walking in taking in views cuts into the serious observing time. I
      been there remember. I never turned away a person from views through
      my scope. What shocked and saddened me is that a past member/possible
      member again was turned away from not only the star party because his
      questions/ideas were not only turned down but was also turned away
      from the club because he rose the questions! This was a not a general
      public person looking for some free views. Building an observatory as
      he is signs of a serious astronomer.

      Future members are the future of the all astronomy clubs. We have to
      keep that in mind. As well just because we have done something for 8
      or 10 years does not mean that its always the best way and that there
      is no room for change. Granted NO change for this year but maybe
      something that should/could be considered in the future.

      Clear skies and hope to visit soon,
      Wishing I was at the meeting tonight!

      Paul Gray

      Yahoo! Groups Links